How to protect your identity when purchasing a house.?

Asked by Peter, 20854 Mon Oct 19, 2009

When purchasing a home it seem based of tax records etc your name, address and even loan amount gets widely distributed. As you get refinances offersin the mail with your loan amount and you address shows up on sites like zabasearch.com and intelius.com
How can you prevent this?

Answers

6
Carolyn Thom…, Agent, Rockville, MD
Sun Nov 15, 2009
When you go to closing, their are documents that you can file to help protect your privacy. I've been to many closings where this document is not deemed as relevant. I suggest that you look for it at closing and you ask for a copy of it, so that you can mail it to the correct party. I believe that this is regulated by HUD.

Your property address and buyer name are part of the public record. There are often additional fees when placing the property in trusts.
Jonathan Lah…, Agent, Rockville, MD
Wed Jun 8, 2016
No you can't , records is public and it need to be public so you will be easily contact by buyers and for those who are interested with your home or property. :)
Russ Ravary, Agent, Commerce Township, MI
Wed Mar 6, 2013
You can't. It is public records. It has always been this way. Now with technology it is just easier to get this info. I wouldn't worry about it. Every house is the same way
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Mon Oct 19, 2009
I never receive mail at my residence maintain a private life, use a POBox for any documents and etc. I own investment properties I never release where I reside.

You can have home purchased as other two agents referenced.

Matter of public record what home was purchased for however does not have your SSN

GREAT QUESTION

National Featured Realtor and Consultant, Texas Mortgage Loan Officer, Credit Repair Lecturer
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Lynn911
Lynn911

http://www.lynn911.com
Bruce Lemieux, Agent, Gaithersburg, MD
Mon Oct 19, 2009
Peter, as Stacey says, you can put the property into a trust rather than your name. This is pretty common -- and this can help with estate planning. Still -- be aware that all property ownership is public record.

I believe that when you apply for a mortgage, all the main credit services -- Equifax, etc. -- sell this information to other loan providers. You can contact each of these services and specifically direct them *not* to provide your information. Also, once you select your mortgage provider, contact them and direct them not to share your information. I haven't done this myself, so I can't advise on the specific steps that you need to take.

Stacey Wyatt, Agent, Roswell, GA
Mon Oct 19, 2009
Peter,

You could buy the property in a Trust or in a Corporate Entity (LLC, etc.). Consult a local real estate attorney who can guide you down the right road.