Home Buying in Buffalo>Question Details

Aplaceofmyown, Home Buyer in 14216

How to change realtors?

Asked by Aplaceofmyown, 14216 Fri Mar 20, 2009

When and how do you decide that it's time to change realtors? What's the best way to convey this without offending anyone and remaining professional about it?

Help the community by answering this question:


1. Invite your realtor to meet you at a coffee shop. (neutral territory)
2. Telll them you want to discuss some concerns in person. (ahead of time)
3. Calmly and rationally tell your realtor what they are doing, or not doing, that has upset you.
4. Tell the realtor how you feel.
5. Ask for their response.
6. LIsten.
7. Pause.
8. Think.
9. Then have a discussion.
10. Buying a home is hard work. It can be fun, too. It's also emotional. You've already started the relationship with this realtor, see if you can find a way to work through the difficulties and continue. That saves you starting a new relationship with another realtor.
11. If you can't find a way to work together; ask to be released from the Buyer's Agency Agreement you signed. (We don't want to work with someone who doesn't want to work with us. It's unpleasant)
12. Once the agency agreeement is terminated with that realtor, you can begin searching for another realtor who will be more compatible with you.
(If there is a personality conflict of some kind, your realtor may already have noticed it and may be thinking the same thing as you; how do I get out of this without hurting their feelings or letting them down?
They may have an idea of someone who would work well with you. Ask)
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 20, 2009
Regardless if you are selling or buying to get out of the contract you will need to obtain a release from the firm you are working with. You have to be very careful about getting it in writting and document all communication. If you are not happy with your broker, it is entirely possible that they are feeling some part of stress also. If you do not get a complete release you are subjecting yourself potentially to a double commission, so be very clear in your discussion with the agent. A possible win win solution if you are having personality issues with the agent is to ask to be transferred to another agent within the same firm.

Best of luck..

Douglas Montgomery, Broker/Owner
Home NY Corp. Douglas@HomeNY.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 20, 2009
Do you feel you're being led outside your comfort zone (ie higher-priced listings than you'd like to buy)? Not being shown in the areas you'd like to live?

Or just plain zero communication?

These are "usual" issues that arise. Your agent is there to help you and provide you with professional, expert guidance. If you've addressed your issues with your agent and you feel you were brushed off, then by all means find someone who understands your needs and will work in your best interest. Even if you have signed an exclusive buyer's agency agreement, you can terminate it if you are not satisfied with the service being provided by your agent.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 20, 2009
It all depends on the problem that you are having. Sometimes it all boils down to miscommunication. In this case you should speak to them to resolve the issue. If the problem is affecting your transaction then you should put it in writing to the agent and their broker. Don't be shy to voice your issues. Just remember you are the one who is buying the house. This will affect you long after the transaction is completed. Don't wait for any reason. Get to the root of the problem or let your agent go and start inerviewing new agents.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 20, 2009
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer