Home Buying in Sidney>Question Details

Gary Russo, Home Buyer in Sidney, NY

How safe is the Sidney,NY area? I read somewhere that they had bad floods. How are the people of Sidney? Just asking...

Asked by Gary Russo, Sidney, NY Fri Jul 22, 2011

See link for flood map/information...
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 24, 2011
I have lived in Sidney for 8 years and my family has been very happy here. There are many opportunities for children in the area and the town library is fabulous. There is a great park and several shopping areas. There have been two floods in the last ten years, both of which were significant, but the town recovered well.
We bought a home in Sidney Village in 2007. We have never regretted it. We knew there had been a flood in 2006, and yes there was a smaller flood in 2011. People pulled together, and life has moved on. When you have mountains, streams, and rivers....water happens. I have found our neighbors to be really nice people. The town has 24 hr emergency healthcare, 24 hr grocery store and gas station, a small airport with mediflight capability, and a registry of motor vehicles right in the center of town. Easy access to 88. The income level in this entire area is pretty low, and many on fixed budgets and incomes. Compared to other towns in the upstate area, I'd say it has more amenities than many, but it suffers from low incomes, and lack of jobs.
I live in Sidney and can tell you, first hand, the majority of people are very prejudice, uneducated and downright nasty...must be from all the inbreeding. Taxes are too high for a village with really no amenities. Downtown flooding is always happening. A few years back, a young man was taken out into a field here and murdered. So, welcome to Sidney...if you dare.
If you HATE Sidney so much GET THE HELL OUT!
Flag Mon Mar 10, 2014
Sidney is a wonderful area to live and work. There were floods in 2006 and 2011 certain area were affected. If your a buyer looking to buy in this are and want to avoid flood prone areas and areas requiring flood insurance; call me to help guide you in your search.

Suzanne Darling
Century 21 Chesser Realty
Email: sdarlingC21@gmail.com
website: http://www.suedarling.com
Hi there. I used to live in Sidney. I want to tell you---- the people are great and so helpful and freindly ! To be honest, yes there has been bad flooding in certain parts of Sidney--but it is still a great place to live ! I miss it a loy because of family issues, I cant move back there. Good luck in your search !! Allie
Hi, you can go to http://www.homefair.com and http://www.spotcrime.com to get in-depth crime stats and area demographics on any area.

Sidney is very safe. There was a flood in 2006, but only certain areas were affected. There are some good buys. You can reach me at colsen@realtyusa.com for more info.
We had a flood in 2006. It far from affected all areas. For the most part all was back to normal in a reasonable time and life continued. If you would like more information please contact me.

Rich Rudolph
Country Squire Realty
1639 State Highway 7
Unadilla, NY 13849