How often people that you picking up are buying from you?

Asked by Stan Mikhalsky, 33160 Sat Jul 21, 2007

I set a rule -- no free ride. You want to see a property -- meet me there. Not because of gas or I don't like anyone in my car -- the reason is, all the the time when I picked someones up, it ended up as a free ride, no more. People are not serious, they found a way to spend a time -- with a Realtor, and take a free ride -- why not? That is why I am not doing it anymore. Any similar experience?

Answers

4
Deborah Madey, Agent, Brick, NJ
Sat Jul 21, 2007
I have, unfortunately, wasted time with people looking at property who were not qualified to buy, nor serious. Whether these individuals went in my car, or I met them at a property, it was a poor investment of my time, and an intrusion on the sellers home. Shame on me, for not better qualifying the individuals as potential buyers.

I generally meet my buyers at the property, so I don't often give buyers a free ride "in my car." I have, however, been "taken for a ride" by investing time with people who were not really buyers.

I would be interested to hear what what other Realtors, buyers, and sellers think a Realtor should do when they receive a call, and the caller says, "I am in front of the house now, can you come show me now? If not you, can someone else come over and open the door in the next few minutes?"
Mario Pinedo,…, Agent, Cupertino, CA
Sat Jul 21, 2007
I just read the book Blink - well worth the time for any Realtor. Trust your instincts - they are very powerful. Parry that with an abundance of leads and prospects and you can turn down the clients you are uneasy about. There are an abundance of people who will want to work with you if you are a great agent. Don't waste your time on people who won't give you in depth info, abide by common appointment courtesies or follow your lead. ...stepping off my soapbox now.
Bruce Lynn, Agent, Coppell, TX
Sat Jul 21, 2007
I think you have to be flexible.....but if you're consistantly in that situation have them pick you up and drop you off. Get creative. I just saw a story about a Realtor in Austin that gave up her car. One lesson I have learned from a client this year is have the client give you a confirmation call 30mins out or whatever time works for you. He always says.....let's meet at 4pm, but if you don't call me at 3:30pm to reconfirm I won't be there. This can keep you from going to an appointment and waiting or having them not show up.
Web Reference:  http://www.teamlynn.com
Rosetta, , Walnut Creek, CA
Sat Jul 21, 2007
Hi Stan,
I agree, I dont like being the local Taxi service. Its such a demoralizing feeling when you sacrafice time with your family for buyers that are not serious.
If the listing in mine I will always go out and show it because as the Selles agent I think that its my job to open the door to potential buyers. If Buyers come to me wanting to see properties that are not my listings I ask them these Questions.
1. Are you working with an agent ?
2. Are you willing to sign a buyers broker agreement which states that if you like any of the homes I show you, you will have me represent you in the transaction?
3. Have you met with a Lender to see what you qualify for?
If they have a lender I tell them I will need to be in contact with him/her so that I can request a letter verifing the approval.I explaine that Sellers want to know that the person looking at thier home is qualified to buy it.
If a buyer refuses to sign the agreement and will not give me the name of thier lender,or will not talk with my lender, then they dont get to work with me.

The only time I am willing to take someone out blind is if they have been reffered to me by a trusted source.