How much would an appraiser give for a very large in-ground pool with a flagstone deck. It had to have cost the homeowner at-least $50K to put in?

Asked by Scott Livingston, Baltimore, MD Sun Jun 12, 2011

I am looking at a house that has a very nice in-ground pool. How much is the pool worth on an appraisal?

Answers

4
Kevin and Ju…, Agent, Wildomar, CA
Wed Sep 19, 2012
I am not an appraiser, but have seen many recent appraisals in our area that typically value an in-ground pool between $10,000 and $20,000.
Jessica Hood…, Agent, Gambrills, MD
Wed Sep 19, 2012
Ah this is very subjective for an appraisal. Some people hate pools and immediately fill them in (sad but true). Others look for only homes that have pools. We generally don't make much of an adjustment for the pool itself but the flagstone deck or "hardscaping" generally retains much of its installation value if the owner can verify those costs.
I was going to say the same thing. Pools are preferential, but that flagstone deck should retain its value. Do you have any of the paperwork from when it was installed? It should be worth a lot when you go to sell. http://www.pebblejunction.com
Flag Mon Apr 27, 2015
Caroline Dug…, Agent, Wilmington, NC
Wed Sep 19, 2012
An average pool usually yields about 10,000 on an appraisal if the home is in the mid-range on value. In a small house where pools are not the norm in that neighborhood, you may get $5000 or it could even be a negative. In a super nice neighborhood with a REALLY nice pool, I think you might get $15000 to $20,000--and I'm talking about the kind that comes with the super duper outdoor kitchen with high end built in features, but you will NEVER get back what you put in on a pool. I hope this helps! I even had a house have trouble appraising this year because they were getting a government loan (USDA) which would not allow them to add any value for the pool at ALL when determining the value for the loan...and our pool (not in a typical pool neighborhood) was given $8000 of value that had to be made up elsewhere.
Annette Levi…, , New York, NY
Sun Jun 12, 2011
I t depends on how much a pool adds to the value of homes in your target area. It is not the cost of the pool the determines if it adds value to the house. In some areas a pool decreases the value of a house. Check with an appraiser familiar with the area or ask your realtor.