How much will not owning the mineral rights to my home effect it's resale value?

Asked by Diana, Fort Worth, TX Wed Feb 16, 2011

Arlington, TX home sellers all want to keep their mineral rights everytime I make an offer. Should I still buy anyway? What I really want to know too, is what happens in 10 -15 years when I want to resale?

Answers

4
Susie Kay, Agent, Dallas, TX
Tue Jun 2, 2015
It is very common in Fort Worth for sellers wanting to keep mineral rights. I personally have not seen a problem in selling a home in the future because of it. I would suggest that you talk to an attorney, though, if you can concern about other implication that mineral rights may have on you.

Cheyenne San…, Agent, Arlington, TX
Tue Jun 2, 2015
I agree with Cheryl that it is common in Texas for the seller to want to retain the mineral rights. It is a personal opinion of mine that when I buy a home, I want to obtain the mineral rights because I want the whole thing. Sometimes it is out of the sellers hands to offer the mineral rights because they have been retained by the person that they bought the house from. I also believe that the minerals are just a way to negotiate more money for their house. A lot of times, if a seller is saying they want to retain the mineral rights, they will negotiate for them. If they persist on keeping them, maybe they are worth some money, which is why the seller doesn't want to give them up. As far as resale value, I do not believe at all that it will affect the value of your property. As a matter of fact, I never base my valuations on whether or not the seller has the mineral rights, and also, I don't know that appraisers use this as a value factor either.

Hope this helps. :)
Cheryl Brewer, Agent, Arlington, TX
Mon Apr 11, 2011
In Arlington TX it is common for the seller to retain the mineral rights. Sometimes they were retained by a previous owner. Unless you are on an acres the mineral rights are not as important. It does not mean they can drill on your property. If you find a house you like i would not let the mineral rights stop me from buying.
Brenda Feria, Agent, Richmond, VA
Thu Feb 17, 2011
Diana, I would not want to purchase a home without the complete bundle of rights that usually accompany a residential real estate transaction. Is there an abandoned mine of some sort or oil deposits that might be below the surface? Being from VA, I have never seen this. My guess is that losing the mineral rights would substantially reduce the value of the property. Especially in TX. What does your agent say? Is this common place in TX? My best advice is to consult an attorney to fully understand what this means to you, a home buyer, and decide for yourself if you are willing to do this or not.