How much to repair a crumbling raised foundation?

Asked by Woodworks47, Citrus Heights, CA Mon Aug 30, 2010

I am looking at buying a home with a cracked foundation. It appears to be cracked through and crumbled a bit at the corner. Does not appear to be separated from the house. Cost will vary from a "crack repair" to a re-pour of the footing on the corner of the house. I need ballpark numbers for each possibility to help make my decision.
It is a small house - only 850 sq ft.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Kelsey Compa…, Home Buyer, Provo, UT
Fri Apr 17, 2015
That sounds like a pretty big repair that you are needing. It would be best to have someone come out and take a look at your home before anything. Once they have examined the foundation they would be able to give you an estimate for the repairs.
0 votes
Kelsey, it is definitely a very big repair. But you are completely right, it is best to have someone take a look at it. They'll be able to give you an estimate on the price and make a plan for how to repair your foundation. This isn't a repair that you want to put off.
Flag Fri Apr 17, 2015
Arpad Racz, Agent, San Jose, CA
Tue Mar 10, 2015

I have a list of a few concrete contractors, as well as a foundation inspection company if anyone needs.

Kind regards,

0 votes
mattdalek47, , Columbus, OH
Tue Mar 10, 2015
I think it depends on the extent of the damage and what it is you want to do. Those can both affect the amount of work needed, which can affect the cost. I would call around and get estimates from local companies to get a better idea what you're in for.…
0 votes
Scott McInto…, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Mon Sep 27, 2010
I think the best advice you will get from this board is to seek out a local structural engineer/foundation specialist and get them to do an onsight visit to get you a quote. Most everyone here are agents and we are not qualified to give you an answer. Nor can anyone answer that questions without seeing the property first hand.

Good Luck!!
0 votes
Anthony Rueda…, , 95624
Mon Sep 27, 2010
I licensed contractor would have to see the home to give an accurate estimate. I would call a few licensed contractors to get bids on the repair cost, any quote on Trulia would be speculation. Good luck!
0 votes
Diane Lees, , Folsom, CA
Sun Sep 5, 2010
Hi Woodworks47,

I'm not a structual engineer, but I'd like to help. I've worked on homes, and with different contractors over the years. It's a good idea to talk to a structural engineer, if the damage is bad. I've read this might run you around $500. They can determine the cause of the problem. They could test the soil under the foundation to see if uneven soil is causing the foundation to settle. Clay in the soil is another frequent cause of foundation settling. To test the Soil, it could cost $500 to $1500. A less expensive option might be to contact a local university, local government official, or a soil engineer for topographical maps of the area. These could tell you what kind of soil the house is on. Maybe try hiring a geology student , who could help you for less money. Non major foundation cracks could cost around $500 to $1,000 a piece to repair, which involves cleaning out the crumbling concrete and inserting caulking. Normally there is more than one crack, like you discovered. Slabjacking, also called mudjacking is a process of pumping a mix of cement, water and sand under the existing concrete, to lift the uneven foundation back into alignment. In some areas the average price for mudjacking is approximately $1,600 to $3,600 depending on how much work is involved.

Since the house is small you need to be careful not to overspend on repairs or you may not get you money out of it. Citrus Heights is a nice city, but does not demand the house prices like Rocklin, Folsom, or some of the other local cities. Always consider "resale" when working on a house.
0 votes
That pricing isn't bad at all. I expected something a lot worse for a foundation repair. Does it make it easier since the problem is the concrete? It seems like it wouldn't be too hard to re-pour that area. |
Flag Thu Jan 8, 2015
Joe Nernberg, , Calabasas, CA
Tue Aug 31, 2010
Ballpark: $75,000.00

Hire a structural contractor for an accurate quote.
0 votes
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Tue Aug 31, 2010
Consider acquiring estimates from local licensed contractors ang get a true idea of repairing costs.
0 votes
Sameer Punja…, Agent, Vallejo, CA
Mon Aug 30, 2010
Its even rough to give you ballpark figures because as agents, we are not structural engineers. Thats who you need and from my understanding they charge a few hundred bucks to come out and take a look. I would probably spend that money to do this. Just look up a few online and it will be worth every penny you spend.

I mean, to be honest, there are so many deals out there. Why would you deal with a home with a foundation issue?
Web Reference:
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more