Home Buying in Chicago>Question Details

Jill, Home Owner in Chicago, IL

How much should a real estate attorney cost for Chicago buyer contract flat fees?

Asked by Jill, Chicago, IL Sat Mar 28, 2009

I put in a bid on a condo and got the name and number of an attorney for the contract and closing through my Realtor. What SHOULD it cost so I know I'm not getting cheated (not that I have a feeling I'm getting cheated, I just like to be sure)?

Answers

18
$500 is pretty much standard. I'd be weary of anyone charging much less or much more than that.

The information in this answer provided by Attorney Ranj Mohip is general information and is not intended as legal advice, nor does the attorney intend to create an attorney-client relationship with any reader by answering this question or otherwise contributing as a member of Trulia.com.
Hi Jill-

Most of the attorneys I have used or recommend charge anywhere from $400-$750. Make sure you use a real estate attorney as some different types of attorneys charge by the hour.

Congratulations on your purchase.
Jill,

Typically, a real estate attorney in Chicago will run you around $500 for a respectable, skilled attorney. If you are interested in representation, please visit my website at http://www.chicagorelaw.com
Web Reference: http://www.chicagorelaw.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 14, 2013
The price ranges mentioned are all pretty standard. It really depends on the attorney. For a Condo purchase I suggest you NOT hire a standard, flat rate closing attorney. It's not that they aren't any good. It's more an issue of getting what you pay for. A flat rate attorney may not do some of the research that could save your hide in a Condo deal.
Whether this is a new or vintage Condo building there are legal pitfalls you should be aware of. A detail oriented attorney who is getting paid a little better is more likely do the leg work on those issues and spend sufficient time with you to resolve those issues to your satisfaction.
Vintage you could probably get by with a 'closing attorney'. New construction I absolutely would NOT recommend it.
Web Reference: http://www.aic-chicago.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 16, 2011
If the flat rate attorney does not want to get sued for malpractice they better do a good job for their client. The quality of legal services provide is not measured on how much an attorney charges but more on their qualifications, legal knowledge and experience in real estate closings.
Flag Tue Mar 29, 2016
Jill,
I closed on 2 Condo rentals last year and my lawyer charged $450 each which is pretty standard for a condo closing.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 28, 2009
Carl, what was the name of your attorney?
Flag Fri Oct 30, 2015
depends on the attorney, but the attorneys that I recommend vary from about $450 - $750.... as a flat fee for the transaction, unless something goes wrong, and it gets very very involved.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 28, 2009
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL
I think that it really varies depending on each real estate lawyer. I bet there is a standard for everyone, but they change prices depending on their need. It would be good to look into how much it would cost before going to one. http://www.vhlaw.ca
Most transactions that do not involve a short sale or other non traditional transactions issues should be about 450-550.
Most attorneys charge anywhere from $400-$650 to represent a buyer. If you are paying anymore than that, then you may want to find other representation
If you've closed on properties in other states without an attorney the number you should be paying is $0, provided your using some sort of financing. Don't let anyone talk you into that you *need* an attorney in Chicago if you are familiar with the process. The number one sales pitch for lawyers in this are is that buying property is a "legal transaction" - so is buying a car. In either case, typically the sale is straight forward and a lawyer is a waste of money (if you can read & understand a contract, which should be taught in high school nowadays anyway). The number two reason they use is to make sure you get a free & clear title. The bank and title company will already make certain of that weather you have legal representation or not. They have more (80% typically) financial liability in the transaction than you do, so they will make certain nobody is on the title they don't know about.

With all that said, by all means contact an attorney during the process if things get complicated. Do it early and fast if you suspect problems. In that case you'll be paying about $175/hr, but the $500 flat fee lawyers would help you with that stuff anyway.
Wouldn't^^
Flag Mon Dec 29, 2014
Call Erik Miles at 312 854 8092 or Don Kiolbassa at 312 782 9035
$500-600 max. In any case the fee should be fixed not hourly.
Varies. Usually around $500. If you'd like a referral let me know.
Beth Mann's fees to purchase a residential property are $500. I shopped around before choosing an attorney and I was extremely satisfied with her and her office's helpfulness and expertise.
You should call them , Depends if you are looking for a good one or regular
Beth Mann has done thousands of closings. She is around 500.00. She and her office were great at my closing. 708-429-9999
400-600 is standard. Feel free to contact me if you need a lawyer ryanrahim25@hotmail.com
$350 (give or take)

Sean Cochran
Quality Mortgage Lending
http://www.qmlending.com
630-330-2229