How much more expensive is Electric Baseboard heating compared to water baseboard?

Asked by Mercedes, 07032 Tue Nov 6, 2007

Is that something that you can have changed? If so what would be a round about ball park to get that done?

Answers

5
Justin Kilis…, Agent, Morristown, NJ
Wed Nov 7, 2007
The pros and cons to $ may or not be THAT different when you think about OIL and GAS costs these days. I would recommend calling the electrc company to get an accurate measure of the utility bill for the home you're looking to purchase to help you decide if the number is doable. I know for example the winter months can be quite high where as the summer months can be quite low - the electric company can put you on a budget plan which will allow you to average the usage so that your bill is the same every month. Look into it.
Web Reference:  http://www.isellroxbury.com
Ginger R., Home Seller, Massachusetts
Tue Nov 6, 2007
Water baseboard is called Forced Hot Water or FHW for short. There is also Forced Hot Air (FHA), which is also oil fired. Where I live, electric heat is considered very undesirable. Sellers with electric heat have sometimes (frequently) lost more in sales value than the cost of a new heating system.
It 's not possible to tell you what a heating system will cost without someone giving you a quote. Especially in a remodel. To give you a rough idea of ranges, very small homes are somtimes heated with Monitor heat, which runs on kerosene. These heaters are usually a couple thousand dollars. Larger homes will require larger systems. These will run much more. Heating systems that we have installed in homes past have run close to but under $10,000. Very large homes can run more.
Get three quotes for a heating system. Ask them what is the less expensive method for this home eg FHW vs FHA. Many people with electric heat also burn wood. Some have gas or pellet stoves. Electric heat itself is expensive and these alternative heaters generally cut the cost. How well your home is insulated wil greatly affect your heating cost.
Diane Glander, Agent, Spring Lake, NJ
Fri Nov 9, 2007
Mercedes,
You can have your electric heat converted to gas heat. If you have gas service in the house, it is much easier and less expensive than if you have to run a gas line from the street (assuming there is natural gas service in your neighborhood.) I don't know what the prices would be. Contact a local HVAC contractor to get an estimate. Your Realtor should be able to suggest a reputable dealer.
Web Reference:  http://www.dianeglander.com
Bridgette Ko…, , Florida
Wed Nov 7, 2007
Mercedes,
I jump in here because I used to live and was a REALTOR in NJ... Even if the costs are now comparable between electric and HWB heating; do not forget to factor in the livability issue. Most people prefer HWB to electric because is is less drying, more radiant, and much more comfortable all around. When I was looking at homes in NJ, I pretty much eliminated those with electric heat (unless they were a good deal and I could convert the heating system). So, with a comparable home in your area, and the only difference being gas/oil HWB vs electric heat, the home with HWB will likely have an advantage on the market. Best of luck!
Jeffrey Vroom, Agent, Clinton, NJ
Tue Nov 6, 2007
Hot water baseboard is usually oil fired. As you know, the price of oil has now gone through the roof. I rent a small ranch (1700 sq ft) with that set up and go through about 700 gal of fuel a year. Find out the cost of fuel in your area and compare that to a buget plan electric. I'm interested to know your findings!