How much money will I have to come up with to buy a home?

Asked by Dillon Bailey, Boston, MA Wed Mar 19, 2014

Answers

3
Elijah and M…, Agent, Laredo, TX
Wed Mar 19, 2014
Well, that depends on a number of factors, including the cost of the house and the type of mortgage you get. In general, you need to come up with enough money to cover three costs: earnest money - the deposit you make on the home when you submit your offer, to prove to the seller that you are serious about wanting to buy the house; the down payment, a percentage of the cost of the home that you must pay when you go to settlement; and closing costs, the costs associated with processing the paperwork to buy a house.

When you make an offer on a home, your real estate broker will put your earnest money into an escrow account. If the offer is accepted, your earnest money will be applied to the down payment or closing costs. If your offer is not accepted, your money will be returned to you. The amount of your earnest money varies. If you buy a HUD home, for example, your deposit generally will range from $500 - $2,000.

The more money you can put into your down payment, the lower your mortgage payments will be. Some types of loans require 10-20% of the purchase price. That's why many first-time home buyers turn to HUD's FHA for help. FHA loans require only 3% down - and sometimes less.

Closing costs - which you will pay at settlement - average 3-4% of the price of your home. These costs cover various fees your lender charges and other processing expenses. When you apply for your loan, your lender will give you an estimate of the closing costs, so you won't be caught by surprise. If you buy a HUD home, HUD may pay many of your closing costs.
Brian Nguyen, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Mission Viejo, CA
Fri Mar 21, 2014
The amount of money you have to come up with depends on many different facts. The actual upfront costs include the down payment, closing costs, appraisal costs, and other fees. It is hard to give you a definite answer because there isn't one, it all depends on your situation and the home you would like to buy. The down payment can also vary depending on the type of loan you would like. If you are seeking an FHA loan it can be 3.5% or a conventional loan would be anywhere from 5%-20%. To get a better idea of these costs, you should speak with a loan officer directly. The best thing for you to do is to speak with a knowledgeable lender like myself to see if you can get started on financing a new home. If you need additional assistance, feel free to reach out. Good luck!

Brian Nguyen
Sr. Mortgage Banker
NMLS # 659743
Phone: 949.667.2887
brian.nguyen@nafinc.com
Carl Mancini, Agent, Omaha, NE
Wed Mar 19, 2014
Are you shopping for a Home? It may seem backwards to shop for a mortgage before you shop for the house, but there are several reasons for doing this. Shopping for a mortgage will also help if you can get “pre-approved” for the amount you’d like to borrow. This means the lender has looked over your credit and financial statement and agreed to lend you the money. Sellers like pre-approved buyers because there’s less risk the deal won’t go through. First, you’ll find out how much you can borrow, which has a lot to do with how much house you can buy.

Market conditions and mortgage programs change frequently, and I welcome the opportunity to serve your needs with quick and accurate real estate financing advice. I have the expertise and knowledge to help you determine the absolute best loan program to meet your objectives. Get my Top 25 Questions for FREE that you should be asking your lender before you choose them to secure a mortgage along with a FREE copy of The 8 Deadly mistakes to avoid when buying a Home. If you are already working with a lender, don’t be shy to give me call so I can price the same mortgage for you with less cost. What do you have to lose but your money?

My only job is ensuring that you make the right choice for you and your family as this is my ultimate goal. I am committed to providing you with mortgage services that exceed your expectations. As always, you may contact me anytime by phone, fax or email for personalized service and receive expert advice from a Bank Mortgage Banker who is responsible for the decisions on all mortgages coupled with over 17 years of experience in the industry. I look forward to working with you! And making your dreams a REALITY.

Carl Mancini
Mortgage Specialist