How much is the sales tax on Modular Homes? Is there also sales tax on land?

Asked by Ds, Topanga, CA Sat Dec 8, 2012

Answers

2
John Arendsen’s answer
John Arendsen, Agent, Leucadia, CA
Sun Dec 9, 2012
Are you talking about a HUD Manuafactured home in a rent/lease community or on a resident owned lot/parcel? Or are you talking about a "Modular Home" which would usually only be placed on a resident owned lot/parcel? There's a big difference and you need to know which is which. Also what is the year and make of the home. If it was built before June 15, 1976 it's deemed a Pre HUD Mobile Home.
Web Reference:  http://www.mh-processing.com
I want to buy a parcel of land in a residential area and then buy a brand new modular home to put on it. Would I have to pay sales tax on 100% of both purchases? And, being from England and terribly ignorant, what is the percentage of sales tax in California, for my plan?
Flag Sun Dec 9, 2012
Carmel Casas, , Los Angeles, CA
Sat Dec 8, 2012
According to the California State Board of Equalization, manufactured homes sold new on or after July1,1980 are subject to property taxation. The county does not tax most manufactured homes sold prior to July 1, 1980. Manufactured homes not subject to local property tax are subject to a yearly in-lieu license fee, much like the Vehicle License Fee that owners of automobiles pay.

A manufactured home placed upon an approved permanent foundation is subject to property taxation regardless of the date first sold new. Owners of manufactred homes subject to local property taxation may be eligible for the Homeowners' Exemption and the state property tas assistance programs.