How much does it cost to tear and build a new single family /single story home(say 2000sqft) in cupertino,ca?

Asked by Ruthirama, Cupertino, CA Wed Jun 4, 2008

I need an approximate range for total process from obtaining permits to plan to build.

Answers

12
Stormyleena, Home Buyer, Atlanta, GA
Fri Jun 10, 2016
My answer would be it depends. The cost to build a home varies widely by location. Building a home in warmer climates is very different , and much less costly, than building in northern states, where foundations must be able to withstand freezing, etc. Different areas have different local codes and regulations. And of course build costs change over time.

I would first suggest that you find a good Realtor and have them run a free market analysis for you on the area you will be building in. Then you will have a good idea of what the going prices are so you do not over build for that area.

http://USAConstructionLoans.com
Peter, Both Buyer And Seller, California
Sat Jul 26, 2008
If you are building a mid-range home, I'd say that building costs would be of the order of $150-$200 / sq.ft. Most insurance companies use this number to generate a coverage amount for your home - and I don't think they'll be underestimating. Ofcourse, if you get some pricey upgrades, you may want to add costs for them outside this estimate.

I don't understand the argument that the builders have the advantage of buying in bulk since they also have lot of overheads. If you are prepared to put in 40-50 hrs/wk of your time going thru the process, ordering stuff online, you'll come out ahead of any builder. And more than everything, the home will be to your taste.
Haneef, Home Buyer, San Jose, CA
Thu Jul 3, 2008
May be a stupid question. Why does it cost so much to build a new house in cupertino (ignoring the land cost)? Consider some new single family home in Pitsburg, Anitoc etc. They are selling for less than $400k including landcost. Materials cost should be same everywhere Am I missing something?
Yes, living in the outer parts of the east bay is different than Cupertino. You have to figure doing work in a high COLA area is going to cost more. Materials shouldn't have too much variance. Cost of labor is a different story. Just my $.02.
Flag Sun Oct 4, 2015
oscar012000, , Jersey City, NJ
Mon Jun 23, 2014
hi ruthirama am adam from oscar contracting if you really need to do your house soon i can help you and save a lots of money to you good job fast and good quality just send me an e.mail and i will give you good price ( OSCAR012000@yahoo.com ) 201 620 4766 thanx
Grace Keng, Agent, Santa Clara, CA
Sun Jul 27, 2008
Peter,
There are a lot cost beside the building cost- labor to builder and lot. The builidng cost is money to pay from get rid of old building and magically a new building in front of you.

As owner you need to pay the architecture design fee, city review fee, city inspection fee, city park fee, city school fee, you need to pay specialist to clean up for asbestos also. city dump fee, demobolish the old buidling, buy new dirty, compact new dirty, connect the sewer fee, fence, landscape. If the lot need to level correct then you need to level or water will naturally flow to the street.
There are a lot of add on fee beside the material and building cost. If you need to subdivide the lot then you have to pay surveyor and county record fee.
I build the brand new homes and live in there. It COST much more then your estimate just $150 - $200 to build. Yes! Your insurance agent may under estimate the cost.

Grace Keng
Sanjoseselle…, Home Seller, San Jose, CA
Fri Jul 4, 2008
Oh yeah, and land is A LOT cheaper out in Pittsburg or Antioch. Far away from high paying jobs, less infrastructure, lower density.
Fri Jul 4, 2008
You are only building one house. The builders are building thousands. You get better prices when you buy in bulk and can train your own labor. Also, many builders are not making profits and since many are publicly traded companies they are trying to reduce their losses so that the shareholders don't sell all of their stock.
You can't compete with the large homebuilders.
However, building your own home will get you the personalized home that YOU want and not someone else thinks you want.
Grace Keng, Agent, Santa Clara, CA
Thu Jul 3, 2008
The labor cost at the low region areas are cheaper to build and those builders could made enough money during 2005 -2006 they have to cut cost to sell to avoid the carrying cost now.
Grace Keng, Agent, Santa Clara, CA
Thu Jun 26, 2008
Ruthirama,
I will ask you this question as one of Cupertino local realtors. Why are you doing this? For a quick profit or you are going to live there long time . Flipping is difficult to make a profit. There are other Cupertino areas such as Monta Vista or Lynbrook High school area to choose
It is long process to tear down an existing home and build another home. You have to consider the financial and emotion efforts. I have built two brand new homes in Sunnyvale, I can help you to decide what is the best decision for you.

Grace Keng
Web Reference:  http://gracekeng.com
Jennifer Kre…, Home Seller, 95124
Wed Jun 11, 2008
Hello Ruthirama,
I'm an architect in San Jose and I have experience with single family homes in Cupertino and I'm familiar with Rancho Rinconada. I agree with Dave that you need to be careful with how much you invest in that area. Dave is also correct in the average cost per square foot of construction.
Another thing to take note is time. It will take you about 1 year in planning your new home and getting permits before you can begin construction and another year to build the house.
You are welcome to call me for more detailed advice on building a home in Cupertino. My website listed below has my contact information. A new home in Cupertino will require an architect and structural engineer, plus a soils report. There will also be city permit fees and a school fee.
Web Reference:  http://www.jkretschmer.com
David Blockh…, Agent, Los Altos, CA
Fri Jun 6, 2008
Ruthirama,

I would use approximately $350/s.f. in total. So the total cost should be around 700K-750K. Note: you might check with your realtor to make sure it makes sense going through the process versus seeling the current tear down and buying a home already built. The advantages of this route is it is probably less expensive overall. The disadvantage is you might already be in the perfect neighborhood and the house you would build would have the floorplan/ammenities that you truely want. Lastly, Rancho Rinonada is not the neighborhood to invest a lot of money into. The area is very much in transition with large (and for the mmost part) poorly constructed homes next door to tear downs. If I owned a property there, I would sell it and move to a more established and consistent neighborhood. I know I've offended a lot of Ranch Rinconada property owners, but thats how I and many others see it. If you have the money to build, move to the other side of Bollinger Road, around Monta Vista high or for that matter, move to Mountian View with Los Altos schools.
Web Reference:  http://www.losaltoshomes.com
Roland Barcos, Agent, San Jose, CA
Wed Jun 4, 2008
Hi Ruthirama - I'm not a contractor, but if you are looking at quick rough numbers, of course you start with the purchase price of your property. To scrape a lot, figure $40-60k, so say $50,000. Building costs can range from below $200 per sq ft to well over $400 per sq ft, depending on quality of fixtures, finishes, and craftmanship. So, based on your question, costs could range from the low $400k's to almost $900k, plus the cost of the property. As usual, the devil is in the details. I would figure out if your budget was within this range and then get together with an archetect and/or contractor to come up with the optimum plan to fit your budget. To determine your budget, work with a reputable lender to secure financing before you waste any time working on a plan that can't succeed.
Good luck,]
Roland