How much does it cost to convert attic space?

Asked by Tony, Ian Wed Jun 4, 2008

How much does it cost to convert attic space to
1. 1/2 bath game room
2. full bath game room
3. full bath or half bath bed room

I believe 1 would be the cheapest option..Wanted to know the ball park..

Answers

6
Ken Lambert’s answer
Ken Lambert, , Exeter, NH
Tue Feb 15, 2011
Good point on the pool table ! I did this myself for my own 2nd story addition over an existing garage. Have to be very careful with the point loads on a table like that or a hottub, etc.
In general, most attic floor joists are only made to support a minimal storage weight and nothing else; no living space.
There are many factors.
But, to give you a ballpark, it could be anywhere from $50/ SF up to $100/ SF maybe.
If you need any further specific help, please let me know. Thanks,
Ken
Hovanski789, Home Buyer, Belmont, MA
Fri Apr 1, 2016
It probably cost you around 25K to 50K
Kevin Sheeh…, Agent, Cambridge, MA
Thu Jan 30, 2014
Quality of the finishes you choose will also drive your budget. Make sure to spend in proportion to what the property can sell for later with the addition. Sometimes--of course--an owner chooses to over spend to create a lifestyle--your choice!
Louis King R…, , 02472
Sat Feb 12, 2011
I faced this same question myself when I gutted an entire home and put in new baths, heating and kitchen and finished the attic with a bedroom and full bath. The only way to get an accurate quote is to bring contractors to the subject property.

Not all attics are the same. Some need dormers for more head room. I didn't need to dormer mine, so I saved money there. Some need a staircase. Mine was a one story house, so I had to have a staircase constucted. So to get an accurate quote, the contractor needs to see the attic in question.

Not all contractors are the same. If you already have a real estate broker representing you, ask that agent to give you the names of contractors whose work he's seen.
Ray, Home Buyer, Lowell, MA
Thu Jun 5, 2008
Chris is headed in the right direction.Attic spaces are designed usually for storage and not habitable space.You also have to have the proper head height for habitable space(7').You may have to change the joist sizing up there before you do any remodeling.
Christopher…, Agent, Woburn, MA
Thu Jun 5, 2008
First of all, i would ask other questions! Where is the home located, how many bedrooms, what will this do the my homes value, this question also should show what type of finished to use as well! Plus be careful this is may be a structual item as well! Pool table is quite heavy!