How much does installing NEW central air cost?

Asked by Katrine, 44118 Fri May 2, 2008

I am looking into installing central air into my house - it's about 1800 sq.ft and has a basement, first floor and second floor.
I've gotten estimates from everything between $2000 - $30000 - what is more realistic?

Answers

6
Kelsey Compa…, Home Buyer, Provo, UT
Tue Mar 17, 2015
This is a great question that I have actually been wondering about myself. My parents moved into a new home that does not have an air conditioning unit. They will need to get one installed and I want to help as much as I can so pricing it would be our first step. I think the best thing to do is going to be to ask around for quotes. http://jonesairconditioning.com/a-c-services.html
Darrell D. D…, Agent, Schertz, TX
Sun Jul 1, 2012
Wow, I tagged on this after another agent and then realized it was a 4 year old question.....sorry.
Darrell D. D…, Agent, Schertz, TX
Sun Jul 1, 2012
Your question states that you are installing, not repairing or replacing central air....the question is vague because it does not state the presence or type of heating system. And it does not state the presence and type of ducts.

So, I will assume you have a functional series of existing ducts and you are going to put in an air conditioner with a gas up-flow furnace as a combination. For your home size, I would anticipate a 4 ton unit.....this will probably be in the $7000-$9000 range installed. This also assumes that no construction will be required because you have an adequate heating closet set-up to support the furnace.

Now, if you have any other type of radiant or boiler heating system, this all goes out the window...lots of unanswered variables in the question....Good Luck!
Aminah Alexa…, Agent, Solon, OH
Sun Jul 1, 2012
I say purchaser beware! $2k-$3k sounds like a realistic figure. You may find someone for $1500 but you get what you pay for, so be careful!
Rick & Donna…, Agent, Beachwood, OH
Tue Aug 19, 2008
Could use a little more info on your existing system. For example, do you have forced air or radiators? If you have a forced air furnace, how old is your existing furnace? An existing forced air furnace less than 20 years old would cost approximately $3500
David Willia…, , Cleveland, OH
Fri May 2, 2008
Assuming you are using existing air ducts, I would think you are going to be between $3000 and $8000.