How much does a Home Inspections cost for a 4 bed 2 bath in Oakland ca and if anyone known of a good company please let me no?

Asked by Lisa, Oakland Ave/Harrison St, Oakland, CA Mon Dec 14, 2009

Answers

9
Cheryl Berger, Agent, Berkeley, CA
Sun Jul 8, 2012
For that size of a home in Oakland the range can be anywhere from $450-$650. One of the inspectors that myself and my clients really enjoy working with is Jay Marlette. He is extremely thorough in his inspections.

Jay Marlette's Home Inspection
(510) 847-2171
http://www.houseman.org/
Fairfiled, Home Buyer, Oakland Ave/Harrison St, Oakland, CA
Sat Jun 16, 2012
How much does apartment Inspections cost for a 2 bed 2.5 bath in Fairfield Solano County Ca and if anyone known of a good company please let me .Greta
Ellen Lynch, Agent, Berkeley, CA
Mon Mar 22, 2010
Hi Lisa,

Everyone is on a budget and cost conscious, however, when it comes to home inspections for a property you are buying, or selling,, it is really important to get someone who is reputable. A lousy home inspector, also with no decent Errors and Omission insurance can cost you money, and invite lawsuits down the road. By reputable, I mean: Agents on the other side of the transaction will respect and accept the inspection. Buyers and sellers have to acknowledge inspections obtained by the other party. When sellers get inspections by less than reputable companies, buyers will surely get their own inspections. When buyers obtain inspections by companies that aren't held in high regard,,,well, sellers aren't going to consider requests for repairs or credits, and worse than that, the buyer is stuck with a report that may not mean a whole lot down the road. Real estate lawsuits largely involve disclosure issues.. and these often involve home inspection issues years after a transaction has closed. Don't make a decision for a home inspection based on "saving" a couple of hundred dollars. This is a very important decision with major consequences.

First of all, it is crucial for everyone to know that despite common perception: There is no Home Inspection license in California! There is not even a state issued certificate.. There is minimal regulation of home inspectors. Anybody can go do home inspections! Unlike Structural Pest Operators, home inspectors are not regulated.

So, how do you get a good home inspector? Start with ASHI. American Society of Home Inspectors. This is the association with the highest professional standards. They have better preparation, experience, standards, and the best industry standards for errors and ommission insurance.

You can get an inspection for $350-700 for this property. I would strongly advise you to check out the inspector's resume and referral list. You want and need objective info. This objective professional should not be giving you prices for work to correct items.. These bids for work should be obtained from LICENSED contractors who will review the inspections and give you bids to correct the work found in the inspecitions. Please know that if realtors give you the names of painters, etc.. they NEED to be licensed.

As mentioned here, Paul Breitkopf: BPG: 800-285-3001. John McComas, Star Inspection. There are other good inspectors.

You can go on the ASHI site.. check it out

From A realtor who is a former General Contractor, with Home Inspection experience!
Rose Nied SH…, , Oakland, CA
Mon Mar 22, 2010
Hi Lisa: The cost will vary but typically a 4/2 under 2000 sq ft will range from $400-600; if over 2000 sq ft then it could be more. I personally have had great experiences with several Home Inspection Co. and can recommend the following with confidence (Are you on the selling or buying side--do you also need someone to help you with comps, etc)...I also have a group of good workers who can perform work at reasonable prices...Please call me if you need help...If you are selling, I can certainly help you ready your house for the market--past life interior designer which really comes in handy with getting the house ready to stage): Here's the list...Rose Nied, Alain Pinel Realtors 510 530 7011

John McComas
JMC Building Inspectors
847 4340
525 7173
Fax 558 8544
john@jmcinspections.com (sometimes a little more expensive but very thorough)

Brian Cobley
Star Inspection Group
1433 Liemert Blvd
Oakland Ca 94602
482 8016
debbie@stargroup.com (Also a good solid company)

Skyline Inspection
(925) 944 5498
Bob Dullum
http://www.skylineinspection.com
bobdullum@yahoo.com' (I love Bob..he's a great guy and easy to work with)
Web Reference:  http://www.apr.com/rnied
Gina Odom, Agent, Santa Cruz, CA
Tue Dec 15, 2009
Costs for home inspections can vary and run somewhere between $300-$800. You can often look online on a website called Yelp to see what type of reviews the home inspector has gotten or check with the Better Business Bureau to see if there have been any major complaints. I have a few that I recommend including: John McComas at 510-525-7173 and Alan Block at 510-549-0701. Good luck!
Joe Nernberg, , Calabasas, CA
Mon Dec 14, 2009
Great advice from previous posts. Best recommendation: http://www.CREIA.org
Thanks JOe for the website tip. I found a great inspector.
Flag Tue Jun 19, 2012
Lisa Cartola…, Agent, Oakland, CA
Mon Dec 14, 2009
Hello Lisa,

The cost of a home inspection typically varies by the square footage of the house with the standard being 2000 and below one price, 2000 and above being another. Different companies do charge differently but the standard range I have seen is $350-$600 for a home 2000 square feet and below.

Are you currently in escrow? Are you working with a Realtor? When working with buyers or sellers who are preparing to sell their home I have a list of recommended resources. I typically work with Glenn Stewart of Pacific Coast Inspections http://www.pacificinspect.com/. I find Glenn to be honest, fair and very informative when helping buyers or sellers understand some of the complexities that can sometimes arise in a home inspection. He is a member of ASHI and the CA Real Estate Inspection Association. My clients who have used him have been extremely happy.

Hope this helps!

Lisa Cartolano
Alain Pinel Realtors
Web Reference:  http://www.LisaCartolano.com
Cameron Platt, Agent, Oakland, CA
Mon Dec 14, 2009
Call LandAmerica Inspections (currently transitioning to Buyers Protection Group) and ask for Curt Lenhart -- (800) 285-3001.

Inspection will likely run $450-475, and is worth every penny -- especially with Curt!

Best of luck,
Cameron Platt, JD, CRS
ccp[at]plattinc.com
510-708-4137
Web Reference:  http://www.plattinc.com
Ellen Lynch, Agent, Berkeley, CA
Mon Dec 14, 2009
Hi Lisa,
Rates vary on homes inspections. You can pay from $350. to around $650. for an inspection on a house that size. You will pretty much get what you pay for however! In California, there is no state license for home inspectors. There is little regulation. Anybody can literally say they are an inspector and take your money. There will likely be a licensing program for this field, finally, in the next few years. My recommendation is to use an inspector that has ASHI certification, that is American Society of Home Inspectors. This is the most rigorous training and certification program around. Inspectors have to be highly experienced to be a member and have ongoing quality training. You would want to make sure an inspector has Errors and Omission Insurance, in case they miss something critical or misdiagnose some problem, etc. Having a quality home inspection is crucial, and I would not go for a cheap one or try to save a couple of hundred bucks on something so important. I could tell you some companies and inspectors to avoid, but not sure that is appropriate for this venue! My recommendation is to call the inspectors and talk to them, ask them some questions about their experience and ask to see a sample report. Some companies have more of a checklist type report and some have strictly narrative. Most are using a combination now. Some quality Inspectors I've used in the Oakland area: (sorry don't have the phone numbers handy here, but all are listed): 1. John Fryer, Oakland 2. Star Inspection Co., Oakland, 3. John McComas, Berkeley/Oakland 4. Jay Marlette, Albany (highest price most likely!), 5. Paul Breitkopf of Land America Pro Inspections, 6. Westby Home Inspections. These are all quality inspectors/companies.