How much are Contra Costa County property taxes and what kind of discounts or exemptions are available for owners over age 65?

Asked by Slowfoodisgood, Concord, CA Sun May 6, 2012

I've looked at tax assessor's website and cannot find specifics for particular areas. In this case, we're thinking of Brentwood but also looking in Concord, Martinez, Pleasant Hill.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Carolyn Zeig…, , Danville, CA
Sun May 6, 2012
Regarding your over 55 benefits, you can transfer your tax basis within the county which most people cannot.
You might want to contact the tax asessor's office for CCC and see there are any additional benefits. I am only aware of a reduction on property taxes.

Carolyn Zeigler
0 votes
Slowfoodisgo…, Home Buyer, Concord, CA
Sun May 6, 2012
Lots of great answers but no one has mentioned what exemptions or discounts are available for property owners over the age of 65?
0 votes
We are over 65 and apparently there are assessment exemptions for that age group. The Prop 13 benefit is not of great value to us since we will be buying a house for half of what we sold this one for ... less than we bought it for 15 years ago when our original assessment was made
Flag Sun May 6, 2012
You must be 55+ years old to take advantage of the propositions below which shield you from the standard property tax calc based on transfer value/purchase price. These allow both a discount and an exemption.
Flag Sun May 6, 2012
Carolyn Zeig…, , Danville, CA
Sun May 6, 2012
The taxes for CCC are different depending on the area you choose. The base tax for CCC we normally figure is 1.25% of the selling price PLUS any special assessments which might be levied in the area you choose. Brentwood has a wide range of special assessments so it is not easy to calculate. I usually look up the property taxes for the particular property in Brentwood to determine if my clients overall qualifying ratio will handle the sometimes exorbitant special assessments.

Pleasant Hill, Concord and Martinez have varying special assessments also but don't seem to have the variations that Brentwood has in the lower price ranges - up to $375,000.

Do you currently have a home in Contra Costa County that you will be selling before you purchase your replacement home? If that is the case, you can transfer your tax basis from the home you are living in now to the new replacement home provided it is of lesser value than the current home.

Call (925-487-1996) or email me: for any specific questions you may have. Good luck in your search!

Carolyn Zeigler,CRS
Re/Max Accord
0 votes
Steven Ornel…, Agent, Fremont, CA
Sun May 6, 2012

“How much are Contra Costa County property taxes…”

1.25% is a widely used estimate for CA; HOWEVER, there are actually three types of tax that can apply on any specific property you come across. The following steps you through the process of finding this information:

"Estimating Property Taxes in CA"…

Additionally, you might be interested in who customarily pays County/City transfer tax:

“… and what kind of discounts or exemptions are available for owners over age 65?”

There are actually THREE CA Propositions that allow transfer of tax base. In fact, there are special circumstances that not only allow some to transfer tax base TWICE, the replacement property may be 110% of the sale price (see page 2 of the linked document below).

PROP 60 provides for the transfer of a base year value from a principal residence to a replacement dwelling within the SAME County by a homeowner age 55 and over.

PROP 90 authorizes County boards of supervisors to adopt ordinances allowing base year value transfers between DIFFERENT counties. As of 2/15/10 (confirm current status before taking any action) only the following eight counties in California have an ordinance enabling intercounty base year value transfers:

Alameda, Los Angeles, San Diego, Santa Clara, El Dorado, Orange, San Mateo, Ventura

Now, generally, a person can use Prop 60 or 90 only once. However, PROP 110 provides the sole exception where a person first received relief for age and then subsequently the claimant or claimant's spouse became severely and permanently disabled and has to move because of the disability.

Prop 110's Section 74.3(b) extends Prop 60 & 90 to "... any person who has a physical disability or impairment, whether from birth or by reason of accident or disease, that results in a functional limitation as to employment or substantially limits one or more major life activities of that person, and that has been diagnosed as permanently affecting the person's ability to function, including, but not limited to, any disability or impairment that affects sight, speech, hearing, or the use of any limbs."

Whatever you do, please consult a tax/financial/estate planner before making your final decision!

You can read much more about the three propositions here:

0 votes
Kamal Randha…, Agent, El Sobrante, CA
Sun May 6, 2012

Its best to look at each home taxes do vary...if you can provide the address, I can look up the tax bill for you to give you an exact idea of what you should expect to pay annualy.

Please feel free to call or email me if I can be of further assistance.

Kamal Randhawa
510 932 1066
0 votes
Patrick McCa…, Agent, Walnut Creek, CA
Sun May 6, 2012
The base property tax also known as the ad valorem tax is 1%. However each county, city and subdivision has additional taxes or assessments. These will vary depending on the agreement between the city and the developer. The ballpark for homes is approx 1.25% but can run as high as an additional $5000 per year. The only sure fire method is the check the tax records before you purchase, which I am sure any agent can access for you. As to the tax breaks for over 65, there use to be a deferment program for low income or disabled owners however I believe that program was suspended due to the ongoing budget crisis.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more