Mischa Torres, Home Buyer in 94550

How many homes is it reasonable to see before making a purchase?

Asked by Mischa Torres, 94550 Sat Aug 4, 2012

I'm a first time home buyer. My agent has shown us 10 homes over on 3 separate visits. Through this process we've been able to narrow down our area of interest and have a much better idea of what we're looking for. We were prepared to make an offer on one, but it didn't work out due to better offers being submitted by others.

I did tell my agent up front that I was a new buyer and was looking for hand-holding etc.

What's reasonable to expect from my agent as far as how many homes shown?

There is never set number of homes to view as every buyer is different. Some people find a home after viewing just 5 total and others it will take many, many more. I do recommend keeping it to a fairly reasonable number of viewings each day that you go out just so that you do not get overwhelmed. When buyers start to look at 30 homes in one week it can become very confusing and you can get flustered since you don't know what house had which feature.

Home buying can be a time consuming process......

Don't be worried about numbers and how much time your agent is spending with you. It sounds as if you are making progress.....remember that each home that you view brings you closer to making a decision, even if it is the very first home you saw weeks ago.....

A good agent will understand and remain committed to the process.

In this market buyers usually see about 12 homes before placing their first bid. However under some circumstances you may not get the first home you bid on so you may see 24 homes or more before you secure a contract to purchase. Good luck with your home search!!
Hello Mischa,
Unfortunately there is no magical number of homes to preview .Also, viewing too many homes in one day can be overwhelming and difficult to remember each home. There are some great tools out there that your agent can provide to help organize you during your touring, they allow you to keep notes on everything from amenities of the home to location, schools etc. it's great to start your home search by driving different neighborhoods so you can get more familiar with your options from price points, size, architect styles, etc. The more educated you are the more prepared you are to write a fair and realistic offer on the home you want.

The current market is very low in inventory, when you find that perfect home don't delay, present your offer as clean and strong as you can afford. Be strategic as well with how you write your offer, your up against tough competition as it is a sellers market even with the historic low interest rates. Buyers are out in full force with the low rates making the affordability a reality but with sellers still on the fence scared to sell you will have to work a bit harder to find and obtain your new home.
All dreams are possible, buying your first home is amazing and you will thank yourself for years to come!
Go find your home, congrats!
Caroline Barnes
Congratulations on entering the world of home ownership!! And good luck with the process. There is no magic number. It sounds like your agent is doing a good job of showing you a variety of homes, but not too many in one visit. I've helped some first time buyers that find a home on our first day out and other buyers who look for several months. In today's competitive market you may find several homes you like, and make an offer on, before you successfully get into contract. There are many factors involved. Hang in there, enjoy the process, and try to be flexible!

Sally Blaze
Alain Pinel Realtors