How long you should go without contact from your agent? I recently viewed several props with my agent and she

Asked by Marvin, Atlanta, GA Sun Jul 19, 2009

said she would get back to me with information on other listings we found...that was 22 days ago!

Answers

17
Lee Taylor, Agent, Decatur, GA
Sun Jul 19, 2009
22 days is along time for a client, but not for a customer.

The essence of agency is a "brokerage agreement." In writing. The buyer or seller becomes a "client." The "agent" has specific duties.

Got one of those 5 page docs?

If not, when I get in this particular situation, it's because I haven't put you in my car yet, and I'm too busy for you.

Such, is not your case...I don't think.

Maybe your "agent" is dead.

Do you care?
Web Reference:  http://intowninsider.com
Felicia Will…, Agent, Fayetteville, GA
Sun Jul 19, 2009
Hi Kim,

22 days is a long time to hear back from your agent. Have you tried to contact your agent for more information on the other listings? If it takes more than a week to hear back from your agent, then give the agent a call to find out the status on the additional properties. If it has been that long, find out if the agent is still willing to work with you or do you need to find someone else to work with.

Felicia Williams
feliciasellsgeorgia@yahoo.com
770-369-0261
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Sun Jul 19, 2009
Kim,

This is most unusual.....one might assume something happened ie. illness, technology issues, change of offices/employment, loss of contact information, confusion about who was calling who, etc.

If you have the agent's contact information, it might be a nice thought to give her a call to let her know you are still on the planet waiting for her.

On the other hand, you would be justified to move on and explore other options with other agents.....if you choose.

Best wishes.
The Eckelr Team
Dp2, , Virginia
Sun Jul 19, 2009
You're more patient than I am. I like to hear or at least receive something via email within 3-5 busyness days.
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Thu Jul 30, 2009
Kim - based on what you said, consider yourself "abandoned", and find a new agent.

If your agent has had a personal problem, then she should have assigned someone else to cover you.

I am in frequent contact with all my buyers and sellers - a minimum of once a week, even if I have nothng new to tell them.

Time to move on to an agent who wants your business!!

Good luck....
Debbie Rose
Prudential NJ Properties
Bryan Furse, Agent, Atlanta, GA
Thu Jul 30, 2009
In the situation you describe, I would be in daily contact with my customer/client until such time as something time consuming occured; in other words, it wouldn't take me more than a couple hours to find you more listings to look at and in no event would I go without contacting you at least once a week, unless something drastic happened... in which case I would let you know what was going on and when (specifically) I would be getting back in touch with you.

If you would like to discuss this further, feel free to e-mail me: bryan.furse@metrobrokers.com
Perhaps I could be of assistance in your search.
Pat Albert, , 30342
Tue Jul 21, 2009
I agree with some of the answers below, however, if you have waited 22 days for "information", why didn't you just call the agent right away and have her sit down at the computer while you are one the phone and discuss these properties with you. Unfortunately, there are lots of "lookie-Lous" out in the market right now who just keep looking and hoping that they will find something better. A serious agent has to evaluate who the clients are that really want and need a home right away. You may have said or done something that has moved you out of that category. With the new "due diligence" contracts we are not closing as many sales as we would have previously as buyers are "baling" over any little thing that doesn't hit them right. Serious Realtors only want to work with serious Buyers. So I suggest that you step up to the plate and let your Realtor know what your level of seriousness is.
Stephanie Mc…, Agent, Canton, GA
Mon Jul 20, 2009
Maybe something happened to the agent - have you called her office to inquire whether or not she is still working there, not ill, or dealing with some sort of family emergency? I think that most of us (I know I do) try to contact our clients when we are going to be "out of pocket" for any length of time due to an unexpected personal problem, vacation or whatever. Sounds like something has happened or maybe your agent has moved on for some reason - I'm not saying that's a good business practice - just to shut down on a customer, but some agents are better business owners than others, just like some dry cleaners are better than others. If I were you I would find another buyer agent in your area and get back into your search. If you signed a buyer agency or buyer brokerage agreement with the MIA agent, then you will need to send a written notice to the broker that you are terminating that relationship before moving on. To ignore it simply because the agent is MIA would be doing your new agent a disservice and putting her at risk of having to fight for the commission that she earns in providing good service to you. Best of luck!
Tony Teixeira, Agent, Atlanta, GA
Sun Jul 19, 2009
Kim,

I can't say that I've been 100% faithful to this rule, but I try to return calls within a couple of hours, unless I'm with another client. 22 days is inexcusable, barring some personal emergency. You should expect your agent to stay in touch with you. A client like you that is sending suggested properties to look at is a great thing, you know what you want and you aren't afraid to make those suggestions.

I guess the proper thing to do here would be to find out why 22 days have gone by. If it's not a very good reason, tell your agent that you want to get moving and find another one. Time is running out to get the wheels in motion to qualify for the federal and state tax credits (if you are a first time buyer).

--
Tony Teixeira
770-851-5050
404-848-0982 fax
tonysellsatlanta@gmail.com
tony@muffleyhomes.com

Muffley & Associates
#1 Selling Keller Williams group in Atlanta 2007/2008/2009
#2 Selling KW group in South East Region 2008/2009
TOP 20 Selling KW group in the Country 2008
Web Reference:  http://www.muffleyhomes.com
Jen and Mark…, Agent, Holmes Beach, FL
Sun Jul 19, 2009
Hi Kim, I would try calling her 1 more time. Email may not be getting through. Do you have a Buyers Agreement with her? Are you are client or a customer? That could be the difference in the service. Many good agents are not desperate for work. We are pretty busy right now because smart buyers are taking advantage of the market. Everyone works differently. It isn't customary for me to not return calls. Feel free to contact me. I will be glad to make time for you.

Jen Bowman, Broker Associate
Success Realty
404-456-5024
Web Reference:  http://www.JenBowman.com
Linda Jackson, , 30307
Sun Jul 19, 2009
Kim,
It sounds like you have more than done your part if you have been calling and emailing weekly......
Marvin, Home Buyer, Atlanta, GA
Sun Jul 19, 2009
I'm a serious buyer, pre-qualified , ready to go, not wasting anyone's time. I've e-mailed her each week with listing #'s of properties I've found online and need additional info on. I'm flexible re: location and price, not interested in things like school districts, etc. I've called twice and only get voice mail.

There are thousands of listings on the market it is perplexing to me that I can't reach my agent. I've seen great deals go under contract while I wait to hear from my agent!!! I have been under the assumption that agents have been dealing with a down economy and are desperate for work!

Just wondered if it is customary for agents to go weeks without touching base with a client. Personally...I
would not tolerate this but wanted to see if I'm being unrealistic.
Jen and Mark…, Agent, Holmes Beach, FL
Sun Jul 19, 2009
Kim, Have you tried contacting her? If there was a property that you were really interested in, why wouldn't you give her a call? That would be my first suggestion. Best wishes!
davidwbrower, , Woodstock, GA
Sun Jul 19, 2009
Kim,

Have you presented yourself as a serious buyer Kim? If an agent thought you were and thought you were her client, I highly doubt they would not call you back. There might be some miscommunication going on or underlying expectations that were not communicated. Maybe she tried to send you the info you requested and you didn't get it. Don't make assumptions without maybe giving her a chance and calling. That you waiting 22 days to not find out what's up also says to me you aren't that serious or motivated.
Rick Payne As…, Agent, Norcross, GA
Sun Jul 19, 2009
Hello Kim,

I agree with everything that has been said thus far. You should make one last attempt to contact your agent and find out why it has been 22 days since her last communication. This is a very active market , especially if you are looking for Forclosures, Bank Owned or Short Sales. These homes are selling and you will miss a great opportunity in a short period of time. If you find out that your objectives are not going to be serviced correctly by your current agent please contact me at 678-427-5512 or email me at repayne7@bellsouth.net. We in the Real Estate market know that " Time is of The Essence." To learn more about me as a Realtor please visit my website at http://www.rickpaynesold.com. Especially, preview my cover page " About Me " and the other Valued Added information I have on my site for new potential Clients and Customers. I'm sure after you preview this information you will have a better understanding about me as a Realtor.

I look forward to hearing back from you in the near future.

Best Regasrds,

Rick Payne
Web Reference:  http://www.rickpaynesold.com
Linda Jackson, , 30307
Sun Jul 19, 2009
I am in complete agreement with previous responses to you. May want to consider how satisfied you may also be/not be once you actually start negotiations on a property. Good Luck with your purchase!
Michael Hamm…, Agent, Suwanee, GA
Sun Jul 19, 2009
I agree wholeheartedly with Bil below, Kim. That is very unusual in this or any market. One more email or phone call without a reply would be my last contact in such a situation. Good Luck!

Michael Hammond
SellsRealty@gmail.com
404-538-5499