How long does it take to get a pre-approval letter for a fha home loan?

Asked by Bluejay, Atlanta, GA Sun Oct 25, 2009

Answers

7
Hank Miller, Agent, Alpharetta, GA
Wed Oct 28, 2009
I use Kevin (below) for all my loans - he's always available and can get you squared away in minutes.

Hank Miller, SRA, ABR
Associate Broker & Certified Appraiser
Prudential GA Realty
678-428-8276
Juanita McDo…, Other Pro, Peachtree City, GA
Mon Oct 26, 2009
Most lenders require you to complete a short phone or online application before they issue a "pre-approval letter". After a credit pull and brief phone conversation, I feel comfortable issuing a "pre-qualification" letter. However, I (like other experienced Loan Officers) require a borrower to send certain documents, (i.e. paystubs, W-2s for the last 2 years, bank statements) before I issue a "pre-approval" letter with my name on it. When an agent sees a "pre-approval" from me, they know their buyer is qualified to purchase a home without question (before they waste gallons of precious gasoline).

Best of luck to you. Continue to ask questions as you move in the direction of homeownership.
kevin.ramirez, , Atlanta, GA
Mon Oct 26, 2009
It takes 5 minutes.
Apply at my webiste http://www.suntrustmortgage.com/kramirez
It is free.
Sam Thompson, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Alpharetta, GA
Sun Oct 25, 2009
There are several kinds of pre-approvals. Most loan officers these days have access to an automated underwriting program on their laptop computers that gives them the authority to run your credit and render an automated credit decision. It can be done pretty quickly. The information that the loan officer enters into their system to get the approval is not ironclad, however. For example, a borrower can tell me over the phone that they make $5,000 a month, but until I see the pay stubs and supporting W-2 forms that support it, I am only taking the borrower's word for how much they really make. So, in reality, the strongest form of pre-approval would be once the borrower has submitted income and asset documentation and a live, breathing underwriter has reviewed the documentation and rendered an approval behind the automated preliminary decision. Even the most seasoned loan officer can make a mistake in the pre-qualification process these days with all of the changes that have come about lately....The best pre-approval is always going to be that second pair of eyes on the pre-approval process....Hope that helps.
davidwbrower, , Woodstock, GA
Sun Oct 25, 2009
about 5 minutes, if you can get your loan officer to call you back, that is.
Rick Payne As…, Agent, Norcross, GA
Sun Oct 25, 2009
Good Evening Bluejay,

The pre-approval letter process is the same for an FHA or conventional mortgage . This letter can be obtained quickly. You could have a lette within an hour/hours on the same day depending on how quickly you get your information to the Mortgage Lender and how quickly that person gets back to you. I have an excellent Mortgage Consultant If you need a contact give me a call at 678-427-5512 or email me at repayne7@bellsouth.net.. Also, if you need a Realtor give me a call or email.

I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Rick Payne
Stacey Wyatt, Agent, Atlanta, GA
Sun Oct 25, 2009
Bluejay,

Getting a FHA pre-approval is really no different than getting a pre-approval for a conventional mortgage. After giving the Lender some pertinent information, you can have the pre-approval emailed to you shortly thereafter.