How is the area East of Lincoln and North of Pico in Santa Monica? We have been hearing mixed things about possible crime in the area.

Asked by ravi_mshankar, Santa Monica, CA Sat Aug 18, 2012

Answers

8
Diana Cooper’s answer
Diana Cooper, Agent, Inglewood, CA
Fri Oct 12, 2012
Hello Ravi,

I have a new listing, a 2bd/1ba condo conversion in the exact area I believe you are referring to N . of Pico, E of Lincoln, S. of Olympic & the 10 Frwy, W. of Cloverfield on 20th St a couple of blocks N of Santa Monica College.

My mom retired from the city of Santa Monica & I'm told there is some gang activity in the general area but mainly going east towards Cloverfield. As far as crime is concerned, it is always present in any metropolitan city. With that being said, I've talked to the neighbors who rent in the area & they've lived there for years with no issues. Overall, there are hardworking, middle & lower middle class families, college students, etc that live in the area. Santa Monica is just one of those cities where unless you have a million dollars to spend, you have to live amongst the commoners which is the category most of us would fall into. I say go for it.

Diana Cooper
Keller Williams Realty Marina/LA
(310) 075-9341
cooper_realty@sbcglobal.net
Kathleen Bec…, Agent, Santa Monica, CA
Tue Aug 28, 2012
Hi Ravi:

Yes...that area is an area with issues. There is also a Residential Drug Rehab House on Pico just East if Lincoln. There have been some issues with transients in the area, mostly they are transient...just moving through.

The neighborhood is composed of mostly apartment buildings and a few single family homes. The people that live there are not the ones that cause the issues...it's mainly people that move through the area. There are liquor stores on the corner, a 7-11 and then C.L.A.I.R.E., the residential rehab facility which houses some...well...interesting characters who sometime loiter on the streets

It is also very close to the 10 freeway. This area has a good upside potential for investment and development.

Let me know if I may be of assistance in your search. I know the area pretty well.

All the best and good luck!

Kat Becker, Realtor
Estates, Residential, Commercial
Prudential California Realty
katbecker@hotmail.com
ravi_mshankar, Home Buyer, Santa Monica, CA
Wed Aug 22, 2012
Thank you all for your insight, it is truly appreciated. The area I am referring to is East of Lincoln and North of Pico and South of the 10 to be more specific. I have heard that there is gang activity in the area, halfway houses, as well as drug rehab facilities. It does seem like the area is improving, but we are not sure it has the developmental prospects of other areas of SM.
Look else where!
Flag Wed Mar 5, 2014
Aaron Mirsky, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Wed Aug 22, 2012
Hi Ravi,

The area from Lincoln to 12th between the freeway and Pico that is mostly populated with condos is not bad but doesn't have quite a neighborhood feel as it was broken up by the addition of the 10 freeway. As you move east from 12th Street closer to the cemetery there are pockets of gentrification but historically most of the gangs members living in Santa Monica have resided in the neighborhood North of Pico between 14th Street and Cloverfield. The area is well policed and continues to improve with developments such as Virginia Park. Also, because of the steep increases in rents in other parts of the city the Pico neighborhood has become a viable alternative for students and young families. There are some great older multi-family buildings, craftsman and Spanish style homes in the area as well.

If you are considering making a purchase in the area, please feel free to contact me at (310) 442-1684 or by email at Aaron.MIrsky@ColdwellBanker.com

Aaron
Jessica Acker, Agent, Santa Monica, CA
Mon Aug 20, 2012
Hi Ravi,

I have some great properties in that area and some that are not so great.

There is additional foot traffic due to SMC and Santa Monica High School Students. But on the flip side, It is close to the beach, public transportation, shops & restaurants and has lots of other perks too.

You can always call the local police station to ask specific questions about the neighborhood. You can also go to http://www.crimemapping.com/map.aspx?loc=90404 for more information regarding that area.

Jessica M. Acker
Wellman Realty Company
Wellman Property Management, Inc.
http://www.jessica.ismyreagent.com
(310) 828-3132 Office
1415 Stanford St., Suite #2
Santa Monica, CA 90404
License # 01894323
Elizabeth Sa…, , Fort Collins, CO
Sun Aug 19, 2012
Dear Ravi,

It depends on your specific criteria. Without know what exactly you are looking for, it's difficult to answer your question. Some people love it there. I've lived and worked in Santa Monica for 25 years, please contact me if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Elizabeth Sorgen
310-469-0500
Ron Escobar -…, Agent, Beverly Hills, CA
Sat Aug 18, 2012
I am assumig you are talking about the area close to Virginia Park...

It is probably the lowest price point in all of Santa Monica, but it is still Santa Monica. So you can draw your conclusions from there. Crime is a broadly defined term. It happens at all places, so is possible everywhere.

Sunset Park, south of Pico rocks! But you need to add $200k to the price.

Ron@select-realestate.com
Susan Bo'ur, Agent, Manhattan Beach, CA
Sat Aug 18, 2012
Could you please be more specific? There are small pockets of Santa Monica that are less than desirable.
My current clients prefer north of Santa Monica and above.
Feel free to contact me for further info.
Susan Bo'ur Coldwell Banker
Susan@SusanBour.com