How inportant is decluttering your home before you put it on the market? I have a 1 year old and I feel like it is hard to hide all the toys, ect.

Asked by Nicole318, Manchester, CT Tue Apr 24, 2012

Answers

10
Dan Ross, Agent, Southington, CT
Tue Apr 24, 2012
It is extremely important! All of the studies have shown that a home that is staged will sell quicker, and for a higher rice, than one that isn't.
You don't have to hide all the toys, but they should be in toy boxers or neatly arranged as best as possible before a showing.
People understand intellectually what it is like to have a small child, with the messes that brings, but it is the subconscious emotional response that you are looking to address. A cluttered house feels smaller.

Good Luck
Dan
Michele Wils…, Agent, Lake Forest, IL
Thu Feb 7, 2013
Very important to do this. You might try to keep all the toys in one room. Most buyers will understand if the rest of the home looks great.
Rob Rosa, Agent, Wethersfield, CT
Tue Apr 24, 2012
Hi Nicole,

It is important to take every opportunity you can in today's market when selling a home.

Decluttering just makes it much easier for a buyer to see the home for what it is and focus on it.

It helps the home look more taken care of.

I would put a strong emphasis on it BUT you don't have to totally stress out about it. Each day take a small step towards it and your home will show its best.

I have children myself and it could stress you out if you let it. Keep the most important/favorite items available for your children and the rest slowly pack them up! :)

If you have any other questions or would like to talk more to a LOCAL AGENT like myself please feel free to give me a call (860 558-2122) or email me (rubiconcrossings@gmail.com).

Lastly, I would love to give you a FREE Market Analysis on your home if you would like it (http://checkyourhomeprice.info). Let me know.

Rob Rosa
Real Estate Broker
Jody Smaglis, , Glastonbury, CT
Tue Apr 24, 2012
When selling your home it is important to declutter. I just sold my home myself with having a 2 1/2 year old and I left out her favorites and packed up what we didn't need for a couple months. I know they out grow their toys quickly at this age but it will just be for a short amount of time.
Roland Vinya…, Agent, Sprakers, NY
Tue Apr 24, 2012
My sister had a solution which works with the little ones. ONE toy out at a time and before they can take it out, the rest have to be put away. There was some protest for a while, then they complied.
Amanda Albert, Agent, Woodbridge, CT
Tue Apr 24, 2012
It is SO IMPORTANT to declutter. Otherwise the buyers will not see the house you are trying to sell and only see the STUFF. I know it is hard to remove the toys, but it really must be done if you want to sell your house for the highest price possible.
Richard Bre…, Agent, GREENWICH, CT
Tue Apr 24, 2012
This is a recent half page ad I published in the Greenwich Time!

Coldwell Banker - Previews - International

The Spring Market Is Here!
Are You Ready?

Homebuyers are attracted to clean, well-maintained houses. Here are a few easy steps to better prepare your house to maximize its value.

- remove all clutter from rooms and closets
-keep all countertops clear
-make all necessary repairs to doors, windows, leaky faucets, etc.
-Paint where needed inside and outside
-Trim trees and shrubbery, plant floers and remove all debris

Remember: curb appeal is the homebuyer's first encounter with your home.

When you're ready for the next step contact Richard Breglia for a complimentary market analysis of your home.

My principal obligation to my clients is to make sure I provide them with the most accurate data and materials they need to make well-informed decisions.

Richard Breglia 203-273-3916
Annette Law…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Tue Apr 24, 2012
Nicole,
It is refreshing to hear a question from a home seller who truly understands what is needed and expresses their concern. When it comes to a homes appearance there are four area that MUST be evaluated and,if necessary, action taken to remedy or minimize the effect.
1. Curb appeal
2. Cleanliness
3. Declutter. Now lets look at this with a bit more granularity. I home that is occupied will have evidence that people are living there. Toys are one of those elements. However, the primary issue addressed with decluttering is that of TOO MUCH FURNITURE! Rent a storage unit and move things there until a good amount of floor is exposed. The more floor a buyer sees the more space perceived. If you haven't used it in the past month,,,put IT in storage! Start packing! After all, you do intend to move...RIGHT?

A second element of decluttering is the convenience items. All that stuff on the refrigerator, nick-nacks, and most importantly....the array of devices on the kitchen counters. Some homes with very small children have to face issues such as the high chair and play pens ect. As can be easily recognized, this becomes a growing chore that has no end in sight. In this situation, a seller may find it beneficial to only allow the home to be shown on a scheduled basis such as on Thursday and Saturday ONLY. The benefits will outweigh the consequences. With a bit of thought and observation you may recognize other beneficial dimensions of such an agreement. But there's more!

Have you agent have a little chat with the kids. (Some kids don't hear as well when their parents are speaking. Let your agent do this ground work.) It should go something like this. "I need your help. If you would be so kind and helpful, could you please help your mother put your toys away when she asks you to? When I come to see your home and I do not see any toys laying around, and everything is picked up, I'll leave for you a grade card. If you get five starts, I bet your mom will take you to "appropriate reward here" to celebrate how very helpful you are." I've actually had the prospective buyers write comments on the 'grade card' for the kids to see. The makes a world of difference.

Most agents, in that holder that has all their business cards, in the back is a stack of gift cards for purposes just like this. It turns a frenetic situation, like you describe, into a truly fun time.

I wish you the very best of success in selling your home.
Edyta Gryc, Agent, Naperville, IL
Tue Apr 24, 2012
I agree with Dan. My only suggestion would be to buy a big basket that can easily accomodate all the toys. Few years ago, we put our house for sale. At that time, our son was 9 months old and before every showing, I picked up all his toys and put into this big basket ( I belive we bought it at IKEA).
Most of the toys were in living room, so I did not feel like going back and forth between his bedroom and living room. I found this basket a great solution. All toys were in one place.
Peter Leeds, Agent, Manchester, CT
Tue Apr 24, 2012
Good morning:

Been there done that, with multiple pre-5's. I would suggest gathering and containing the clutter in plastic bins or a toy box. Your house is lived in with a little one; there's no way around that. Just keep it as neat as you can.

Keep having fun. The ride as a parent is awesome!

Peter