How hard is it to get a building permit to build workshop for my hubby in Tigard?

Asked by Sarah, Tigard, OR Tue May 13, 2008

Who could I contact about this before I make an offer?
I don't want to buy if I can't build!

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Julie Fugate…, Agent, Tualatin, OR
Wed May 14, 2008
First, you need to know if you are in the incorporated Tigard city limits. If so, you want to contact the city planning department. Otherwise, you'll need to contact Washington County planning in Hillsboro. Make sure you get permits to do this - the fines are stiff if you try to build without them and it will come back to haunt you when you sell.

Julie Fugate
Principal Broker
Keller Williams Realty Southwest Portland
1 vote
Ben Galvin, , Beaverton, OR
Sun May 25, 2008
If you purchase the property, I can assist with building permits/drawings and construction
0 votes
James White, Agent, Tualatin, OR
Wed May 14, 2008
Great answer. If you do not know of any CC&R's (covenants conditions and restrictions) on the property you can go to Washington County in Hillsboro or call a Title Company such as Lawyers Title and they will get them for you. Good luck! By the way building a shop for your Husband is awesome!


County Office
Washington County
155 N First Ave.
Hillsboro, OR 97124-3072
0 votes
Ron Ares, , Portland, OR
Wed May 14, 2008
Contact the City of Tigard Building Division:…
(503) 639-4171

Be sure to have the address or Tax ID handy. The property may also be encumbered by neighborhood codes, covenants, and restrictions (CC&Rs) that may or may not provide for additional structures to be built. The city will likely not have that information available, so you need to check that out separately.
Web Reference:
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more