Home Buying in San Ramon>Question Details

Pnadam, Home Buyer in San Francisco, CA

How does the proximity to 2 nuclear reactors one in San Ramon and one near Pleasanton affect the desirability of this area.?

Asked by Pnadam, San Francisco, CA Sat Oct 6, 2012

Answers

12
Suzanne Looker’s answer
Hi Pnadam,
I suggest that my clients get a PG&E reading if the house is close to power lines. The testing is free, you need the seller's permission and it shows if the home has increased electrical units in and around the area. It generally comes back that the property is within the 'safe' range.
Suzanne Looker
Hi Pnadam,

I agree with all the comments below. I live in San Ramon, love the area and was never concerned about the reactors. Demand for housing in the area indicate not too many other buyers are concerned either. This may be a subjective concern for you, which is fine but from the standpoint of homes sold....we outpace many other areas.

Mona
Thanks for bring this topic up. It's a good question, but no one buying or selling is discounting or eliminating San Ramon or Pleasanton or Dublin areas from their search criteria as as result. Similarily know one really gets over concerned with the fact that most of Fremont, Newark and Union city are in a dam inundation and/or liquefaction area. The potential hazard is too remote for most to be concerned with the potential harmful impact.
Web Reference: http://sunilsethi.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 6, 2012
Hello Pnadam!
I have lived my entire life in the San Ramon Valley even when we referred to Lawrence Livermore Lab as the "Rad Lab" short for Radiation Lab! Most of us have never given a second thought to the reactors in the area and I would venture to say the vast majority of people have no idea they even exist. For these reasons they have not affected real estate values. Here is a great article for you:

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Bay-Area-has-couple-of…

Jill Lubarsky
(925) 895-3536
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 6, 2012
That's right, Carl - I had no idea. But I don't think it will make me think about moving just yet :-)

I think the fact that some homes in San Ramon have overhaed power lines in the vicinity have a far greater impact (but only on those nearby homes) than any 5 meagawatt or so reactor.

Hey if we worried about everything that could happen, what are we doing in California? Isn't "The Big One" due some time soon?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 6, 2012
Since there is currently an extreme shortage of homes in the Danville to Pleasanton corridor and multiple offers are prevalent on most of them, I’d say it has the following impact:

ABSOLUTELY NONE.

Zip, nadda, zero, zilch.

The most telling comment from below and the biggest clue as to the correct answer to this question is Bernard’s response (he’s been selling real estate in the area a LONG time), when he asks, “Where, exactly, are these nuclear reactors you refer to?”

I’m guessing in all his years as a resident and a Realtor, this is the first time he’s heard of this …
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 6, 2012
There is a small nuclear reactor in San Ramon, located near the intersection of Crow Canyon and Alcosta and another in Sunol off highway 84. They pre-date the residential growth in the area by many years with operations starting in 1965 and 1957 respectively. Neither has had a negative impact on the desirability of the area largely I suspect because they go largely unnoticed and are extremely small (5 megawatts). Neither provides power to the public and both as I understand it are used largely for training and research purposes.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 6, 2012
Hi Pnadam,

I have been living in Pleasanton for 7 years and the nuclear reactors have never bothered me. I sell many homes in Pleasanton and San Ramon, and properties are selling with multiple offers in both these cities. So in other words it does not seem to be a problem for all the thousands of people living and buying here.

Meena Gujral
Achievers Realty
http://www.helpusellachievers.com
925-425-9491
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 6, 2012
There are 2 nuclear reactors located one is the Valecitos nuclear reactor which is located 5 miles from pleasanton. It was decommissioned years back but it still stores spent fuel rods is a storage facility in that location. The reason why it was decommissioned was because it was discovered that there was a fault line right under the reactor. So basically the stored fuel still would be hazardous to surrounding areas if there was an earthquake. The other nuclear reactor is in San Ramon in a commercial facility called Aerotest. So both these are extremely close to San Ramon and Pleasanton. I was think of moving to either San Ramon or Pleasanton next year and doing my research when i found this information. Would like to know from long time residents in these areas about how they feel about this or is it not something to worry about.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 6, 2012
I just came across this post so this response is well over a year later....I have lived in San Ramon for 20+ years; I was very surprised at the number of neighbors getting cancer, all sorts of cancer, but particularly breast cancer. From 23 year old girls to the elderly. I was telling people how pervasive breast cancer was in San Ramon; yes everywhere, but every other neighbor? Really? Then I got it. I can't say it's the nuclear reactors, but I am convinced that there is something in the environment. We seem to be a hot spot. We also live two blocks from the overhead wires. I've often wanted to find out just how many people living in San Ramon have been diagnosed with cancer. It seems those of us who have been hit have lived here for 20 years +.
Flag Fri Apr 4, 2014
Doesn't seem to bother the many people who are bidding on properties that become available for sale.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 6, 2012
Both Pleasanton and San Ramon are extremely desirable areas. Where, exactly, are these nuclear reactors you refer to?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 6, 2012
This would be a great question to ask 73,000+ people living in San Ramon and over 71,000 people living in Pleasanton.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 6, 2012