How does one find a lot/acreage to build a nontraditional home on? Monolithic dome, specifically?

Asked by patricia.linehan, Mankato, MN Wed Jan 16, 2013

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/property/41266993-101-S-Skyline-Dr-Man…

Answers

3
Matt Christe…, , Prior Lake, MN
Thu Jan 17, 2013
I dont know if you can simply search for lots or acreage on Trulia, I took a quick look and did not see that option in their search function.

I know you can select that on Edinarealty.com You would select that you are looking for lots or acreage and zoom in on the map to the area you are interested in.

Of course you can also contact a real estate agent and they can send the listings to your email or show you in person.

If you haven't already contacted a dome builder I know Blair with Dome inc. He is who I am planning on working with to build a dome cabin this summer. He would be a very good resource on what you are likely to encounter with the Zoning issues.

Dome Inc. ~ Geodesic Dome Home Builders - dome homes, dome ...
http://www.domeincorporated.com/
Thank you. I have researched their site. I appreciate the tip.
Flag Thu Jan 17, 2013
Barbara Conl…, Agent, Mankato, MN
Thu Jan 17, 2013
I have access to many lots and acreage in and around the Mankato area. I can do a search and find all acreage around here. Would you like me to help you? You can email me or call me at 507-388-5177 and I would love to help you with your unique search. Barb Conley- Bridge Realty Mankato
Elizabeth Fu…, Agent, Wayzata, MN
Wed Jan 16, 2013
Monolithic dome homes are style and brand made of specific building materials. They can be built anywhere the building codes of the area or municipality allow. I have sold and financed many dome homes and the key is to be sure the particular style and materials will be put together according to building codes, structural requirements and safety rules to make them approvable in the area, Begin by pulling together the plans and specs offered. Work with your real estate agent to make sure you can meet building and financing requirements and find a suitable lot, again taking into consideration the lot size needed, community set-back requirements, etc. If you like, I will be glad to tell you communities where I know dome homes of several different types and materials have been approved, and the company that provides the monolith structures will identify these as well. Good luck!! Liz, 612-986-4105