How do you politely inform a realtor that you are no longer interested in them representing you as a buyer?

Asked by Regina, Vero Beach, FL Fri May 30, 2008

I have emailed and called a realtor who seemed eager to work with me several times, and gotten no response. She sent me a flaky email saying that she has had too many contracts and showings and I have not heard from her since. I am located in Florida, but relocating to Wichita, so I really need a pro-active agent who can show me homes when I fly in next weekend. I don't want to be rude, so should I send her an email explaining that I will find a different agent?

Answers

6
Alan May, Agent, Evanston, IL
Tue Jun 3, 2008
the email stating that "your services are no longer required" is not for purposes of explanation, it's purpose is to clarify that the agent has been officially relieved of duty, and is no longer entitled to any compensation for any future homes visited with another agent.
NonRealtor, , 23456
Fri May 30, 2008
I wouldn't send any email. You don't owe anyone an explanation for your actions.
Dave Osborne, Agent, Orange, CA
Fri May 30, 2008
I think everyone else covered it perfectly. However, if you are looking for a new agent in that area, I would personally only deal with one in particular. If they were in fact too busy for you or thought they couldn't help you, they would tell you from day 1. They are a great company with a team of dedicated professionals in that area.
Let me know if you would like their contact info. DaveO@theOCmls.com

And good luck with your move!
Sylvia Barry,…, Agent, Marin, CA
Fri May 30, 2008
Hi Regina:

The fact that you have called/emailed the realtor several times and she did not respond to you other than sending you an email telling you she is very busy with other contracts and showings gives me an indication that she might have chosen not to work with you due to her other obligations. .

I will just send her a nice email and let her know that since you have not heard response from her, you will be interviewing other agents and just go from there. Now that you are serious, she might even email you back and wants you back to be her client, but I would just find one who actually think I am important enough to work with me.

Sylvia
Alan May, Agent, Evanston, IL
Fri May 30, 2008
a simple e-mail stating that her "services are no longer required" along with the reasons behind your change will be more than adequate.

You may choose to be polite and state "I haven't had the type of active response I'm looking for, from you, and will therefore be seeking a more proactive agent in the area. Thank you for your efforts to date, but your services are no longer required."

You don't need to go into lengthy explanations, nor accusations. You have every right to work with a buyer's agent, in whom, you have some confidence.
Jim Johnson, , 78233
Fri May 30, 2008
Yes, but there is no need to concern yourself about the agent's feelings other than to demonstrate that you are more considerate than she is.