How do you pick a loan officer? Is there any clear cut way or review board to find a great loan officer?

Asked by alez, Omaha, NE Mon Jan 20, 2014

Answers

9
Ryan Basye, Agent, Omaha, NE
Wed Feb 19, 2014
If you are still looking, try http://www.getagoodhome.com for Omaha and Nebraska.
Scott Francis, Agent, Omaha, NE
Fri Feb 7, 2014
After posting this initially 3 weeks ago I'm guessing he has an LO. If not, call the owner of Great Plains Mortgage, Larry Alexander. 402-502-3599.
Jansen Team, Agent, Omaha, NE
Fri Feb 7, 2014
Choosing a loan officer is a very important decision! A great place to start is to ask for recommendations from your real estate agent. Agents work closely with lenders and loan officers, so they know which ones go above and beyond the norm and who will treat you fairly. Your agent will not want to recommend someone who cannot explain the process step by step and truly take care of their clients. If you would like a recommendation please feel free to contact our team. We work with the top lenders in Omaha.
Dennis Clark, , Omaha, NE
Tue Jan 21, 2014
Alez,

To summarize the information below, you can find a great loan officer by the following methods:

1. Referral from a realtor you trust (Add referrals from your financial advisor, CPA, etc.)
2. Check with the NMLS Consumer Access. This will give you a history of any actions against a
loan officer since the beginning of the NMLS system.
3. Check with the BBB. (Although 2 and 3 are usually done after you have a name of a loan officer)
4. Referral from a friend (Many times this is best because they see the transaction from you side
and not the side of the realtor)
5. I would add to check on sites like Yelp and Linked in for loan officers and lenders. You can see
reviews from others who have used them.

If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me.

Dennis W Clark
NMLS#13970
Freedom Lending, LLC
402-333-5432
dennis@mortgageloansofamerica.com
Jim Simms, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Louisville, KY
Tue Jan 21, 2014
In my world I prefer referrals from a Realtor I trust, so my advice is to find a Realtor you trust and have them introduce you to the local LO they trust the most. Cross off that garbage about “I must give you the names of 3 lenders.” You want the one they trust the most!

Jim Simms
NMLS # 6395
JSimms@cmcloans.com
Financing Kentucky One Home at a Time
I answer questions about financing real estate based on my decades of experience dealing with mortgage underwriters. This answer is my personal opinion, has not been reviewed or approved by the company I work for. I do not offer legal or tax advice, if you need answers from an attorney or CPA find one knowledgeable in your local market.
Web Reference:  http://jamessimms.com/
Kim Gehrman, Agent, Omaha, NE
Tue Jan 21, 2014
Word of mouth. I highly recommend Mike Mancuso with First State Bank 402-250-7467 or mmancuso@1stStateBank.com. Don't use Wells Fargo unless you want to close a month late. Good luck!
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Tue Jan 21, 2014
The best way is usually a referal from your buyer agent or a friend or family member who used someone. Most loan officers offer the same product, it is the service they offer that is key.. if you do not have anyone to help, stick with a local and trusted loan officer. avoid online mortgages
Lawrence Ale…, , Omaha, NE
Tue Jan 21, 2014
You can check the NMLS Consumer Access to see if a loan officer is licensed and has had any complaints filed against them. My recommendation is to find a local broker that you can deal with directly. That way you are not transferred around to different loan officers during your transaction.
Scott Francis, Agent, Omaha, NE
Mon Jan 20, 2014
Personally I would go with a mortgage broker they have more motivation to get the loan closed since they're on straight commission and most of the best loan officers I know work for mortgage companies. Check the BBB to see if anyone you deal with has any complaints against them.