How do you get past the hype and find the best realtors for you area/state??

Asked by Boopster, Indiana Fri Jul 4, 2008

also, I would love to find a school or commercial building on the very cheap just to live in for a home. WHere do I find these 1 dollar deals that I hear about for a commercial building?? Or somehting to rehab??

Answers

6
Christopher…, , Westport, CT
Sun Jul 6, 2008
Hi again,

In order to be fully represented and protected, and to be certain your real estate agent is working for your best interests, a representation agreement will be necessary. Depending upon state law, an agent may be able to show you certain properties without the agreement (i.e. listings within their own brokerage firm), but you really don't want to begin disclosing too much information to an agent without an agreement. It may be possible to waive representation entirely, depending again upon your state laws, but I can't think of any benefit in doing so, as you will have to do all of the work, arrange individual showings with listing agents, try to research comparable sold properties, etc, on your own.

Many agents will meet with you to discuss your needs and ability to purchase a home, but will not want to show homes until the agreement is signed. This is a good thing, and in everyone's best interest, once you decide upon the right REALTOR.

Yours truly,
Christopher Rich - REALTOR
William Raveis Real Estate
Your Fairfield County Real Estate Agent
Boopster, , Indiana
Sun Jul 6, 2008
You do eventually have to sign one though to have an agent represent you or no???
Jody Jones, Agent, Elkhart, IN
Fri Jul 4, 2008
The first thing to do is find a Realtor as Christopher suggested. Don't take the first one to hand you their card. Do your homework. Find someone you are comfortable working with and who has happy past clients. I helped someone purchase a VA repo home earlier this year that had to have a total rehab. I can tell you for sure, be 100% ready and understand the amount of work that may be required from you personally to get the home ready to live in. The television re-hab shows give you only a minuscule amount of the actual work to obtain the financing and then to make it habitable. Be sure you are ready for the challenge and make sure your agent is willing to go through the process with you!

Good Luck
Jody Jones
Century 21 Landmark
Elkhart, IN
Rick Patton, Agent, Indianapolis, IN
Fri Jul 4, 2008
There are not $1 deals for commercial buildings. Teachers, police, & firefighters can buy $1 homes from HUD. Realtors can help with this. And I agree, do not sign a buyers/representation agreement.
Christopher…, , Westport, CT
Fri Jul 4, 2008

First off, do not sign a representation agreement with the first real estate agent you meet, until you do your research. Talk to friends and associates and get personal recommendations (agents who have helped them sell or buy a home...not just their friends). Google REALTORS in your city and see who is good at promoting themselves online. Get testimonials. Find out their recent track record in your location -- ask them for their stats. Talk to them about your wants and needs and see how they listen. Finally, who do you ultimately feel most comfortable with and trust the most.

Good luck with your REALTOR search.

Christopher Rich - REALTOR
William Raveis Real Estate
Your Fairfield County Connecticut Real Estate Agent
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Fri Jul 4, 2008
If the city finds out you are taking residence in a building that is not zoned correctly you can be evicted from your own property.
Good luck http://www.lynn911.com