Joe Nernberg…, Real Estate Pro in Los Angeles, CA

How do you choose a home inspector?

Asked by Joe Nernberg (Amerispec), Los Angeles, CA Sun Apr 14, 2013

How do you choose a home inspector? More important - What advice do Realtors give their clients when shopping for a home inspector? Are there 4 questions every homebuyer should ask?

Answers

8
Ruth and Per…, Agent, Los Gatos, CA
Sat May 4, 2013
Hi Joe

We give a list of ASHI or CREIA certified inspectors to our clients.
Refer them to the sites, and ask them to choose by they calling
from the list or site.

The questions a buyer or seller should ask are:
1.) Your certifications
2.) Cost of inspections
3.) Your experience and liability coverage
4.) When can the report be expected and how is it delivered,
is it readable?

Best regards
Perry
Web Reference:  http://www.ruthandperry.com
Joe Nernberg…, Other Pro, Los Angeles, CA
Sun Apr 14, 2013
Thanks Barry. Your actions (and recommendations) set you apart from the herd. Great representation!
Blanca Dover, Agent, Camarillo, CA
Sat May 4, 2013
As an experienced realtor I have worked with several buyers which aren't familiar with local home inspectors. I usually give them a list of the professional inspectors that I have worked with that have done a great job for my past clients. But if you prefer to go the Yellow Page route then some of the questions to ask would be:

1) How long have you been practicing in the home inspection profession and how many inspections have you completed?

2) What type of inspection report do you provide and how long will it take to receive the report? What does your inspection cover?

3) Have you ever had any situations arise from your past home inspections? Any claims against you?

4) How much will your inspection cost me?
Web Reference:  http://www.blancadover.com
Jennifer Fiv…, Agent, Red Hook, NY
Sun Apr 14, 2013
A buyer working with a Realtor will get recommendation from the agent, usually 3 or more names will be given to the buyer to call and interview. These recommendation are usually of inspectors the agent have worked with, or recommendation from other real estate agent..
Buyer need to find out what is involved in the inspection, the length, when the report will be available and the cost..
Laura Coffey, Agent, Santa Clarita, CA
Sun Apr 14, 2013
Check out
http://www.mazzainspections.com
Marc incorporates everything I expect from an inspector from his qualifications, inspections, reports, tools and tests done.
My theory is to have everything called out as possible. I rather loose a deal than a client. I don't want a client upset after close because something was misses.
Barry Shapiro, Agent, Camarillo, CA
Sun Apr 14, 2013
1. Are you certified in home inspection? (Ask to see their credentials or verify online)
2. How long have you been inspecting homes? (Ask for referrals)
3. What does the inspection cover (and NOT cover)?
4. Do you have professional liability insurance? (E & O Policy)

There are several less important questions to ask, such as how long will it take to do the inspection, how soon before I will receive a copy, when are you available, how much will it cost/form of payment, and is there anything the seller should do (such as have all the utilities turned on) prior to the inspection... Great question, Joe! BTW: Our seller, Judy, is very pleased that she ordered a pre-inspection on her home, so now we can share the results with the multiple-Buyer offers we are receiving...
Sun Apr 14, 2013
Sheryl:

Yellow pages? Would I choose a lender that way?

My client's home purchase is expensive and emotional. Are there 4 questions every homebuyer should ask when interviewing a home inspector?
Josh Barnett, Agent, Chandler, OK
Sun Apr 14, 2013
I give them the two I have worked with over the last 6 years, and which of those two's schedules better fit my clients is the one they go with.

But of course, I always tell them they can hire anyone they want to.