How do one go about buying a home that has been sitting for a long time?

Asked by Marlina Jones, Philadelphia, PA Thu Oct 3, 2013

Answers

3
Renee Porsia, Agent, Newtown, PA
Fri Oct 4, 2013

First thing you should do is find yourself a buyer agent who you will feel comfortable with. If you do not know any buyer agents, you can ask friends if they have one they can refer you to or you can ask family. If nobody has a buyer agent that they have used more than once and has good things to say about the agent, you can find one here on Trulia by reading the responses to you question or doing a search. Finding and building a trust worthy relationship is extremely important.

Once you find someone you feel you may mesh well with, schedule an appointment with that agent and that agent will guide you from there.

When a home sits on the market for a long time and what home owners fail to understand is that it hurts them in their wallet. Nothing good comes for home owners who allow their homes to just sit and get stale. On the other hand, its great for home buyers but only if your buyer agent is an expert negotiator. Its important to find an agent who is not afraid to be aggressive. An agent who is meek and timid usually is not good in confrontational situations or in situations where they have to be assertive.

I'd love to speak with you more about your future goals. If you want to discuss this further with me, feel free to contact me at reneeporsia@mac.com or at 215.669.0589.

Renée Porsia
Consultant/Associate Broker
RE/MAX Action
215.669.0589 Direct
215.358.1100 Ask for Renée

http://www.reneeporsia.com

Proudly servicing Philadelphia, Bucks, Montgomery Counties & New Jersey, full-time for 13 years.
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Thu Oct 3, 2013
Very simple..

Find a buyer's agent to represent you.

Ask the agent to do a CMA (competitive market analysis) to determine the value of the property. (Hint: It will be under the listing price.)

Discuss with your agent how much under the CMA you should offer. There are lots of different strategies.

Finally, make an offer.

That's how you do it.
Christopher…, Agent, Langhorne, PA
Thu Oct 3, 2013
Hi Marlina,
I'd be happy to help you. Have you been prequalified? That would be the first step. The second step would be going to see the home and writing up an offer. The fact that the home has been sitting for awhile may work in your favor for a better price. Email me at CBlouch@kw.com or call me at 215-821-5333 if you would like to discuss this further.
Chris