How do find a realtor who understands your needs, price points someone who is willing to working to find you new home , looking outside the box?

Asked by R.B, Charlotte, NC Tue Jan 22, 2013

Answers

24
Kathleen Tur…, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Tue Jan 22, 2013
Every agent here will say to you "pick me, pick me"! Your best bet is to ask friends what their experiences have been and who they would recommend. Make sure you ask about an agent's level of experience. Ask how many homes have they sold and do they work with more buyers or with more sellers. Ask about designations. Did you know that some agents are Accredited Buyer Agents (ABR)? ABR's have taken classes above and beyond what is required to be a Realtor in order to better serve buyers. Another great question to ask any agent is to describe to you a time when out of the box thinking either helped find an unusual property or, better yet, saved a deal! Best of luck in your search!

Kathleen Turner, ABR, CRS, ePro
Keller Williams
KathleenTurnerRealty@gmail.com
704-609-2688
Daniel Fisher, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Wed Jan 23, 2013
Good morning Robyn:
You can find a full time broker whose service commitment is to listen carefully to you to help you find the existing or new home that is just right for you, and who has a graduate degree and skill to negotiate your purchase to precisely fit your financial situation. They can be a creative problem solver and have two decades of diverse experience in architecture, real estate finance, general contracting and development, and a great team of consultants, which allows them to answer questions, and fully support you to make the buying process smooth.

But it is not a buyers market in Charlotte anymore. Most sellers don't like "outside the box" transactions; they want a sure thing and in todays market, they often have multiple offers to choose from - including cash offers and offers over the list price. You might want to read the Trulia Blog "I have bad credit and no savings. Can I get a home or am I stuck renting?" If you meet that criteria, you can probably get a home. We can help you find down payment and closing cost assistance, but if you don't have a steady income, decent credit scores and a loan pre-approval from a NC licensed lender, you will have a very difficult time buying a home regardless of the experience, skill and dedication of your real estate broker.

If you appreciate an answer, please give thumbs up. For the most helpful answer, please say thanks with a best answer click.
Gary Geer, Agent, Antioch, IL
Thu Mar 7, 2013
Robyn,
You need to interview a few agents to find the best one to work with.
Sylvia Smith, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Thu Mar 7, 2013
You just did!! 704-392-0559
Russ Ravary, Agent, Commerce Township, MI
Thu Mar 7, 2013
Interview a few. I think most realtors are good hardworking people that put your interests first. Check out find a pro above.
Terry Bell, Agent, Santa Rosa, CA
Wed Feb 6, 2013
The best place to find the perfect realtor is here on Trulia! You have a chance to look up agents in your area and ask them questions and ask other agents their opinions as well! I bet if you make a list of the things that are important to you in a new home and post it here, you will get quite a few agents with lots of suggestions for finding that perfect home!
Erick Hunt, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Wed Feb 6, 2013
Robyn,

Every agent isn't created equal, so with that being said and as most other people on this post have said references and interviewing potential real estate brokers will help aid in your decision when hiring someone to help find you a new home. Be sure to write all your concerns, wants, and needs that you are looking for in that agent. Also ask for proof and double check what they say.

Good Luck in your search and happy home hunting!
Tracy Santro…, Agent, Cary, NC
Mon Feb 4, 2013
Your best bet is to interview a few agents that you think have the credentials you are looking for and service the area you are interested in buying in. Newer agents have less experience and seasoned agents can get busy. My personal advice is to look for an experienced agent that is educated, successful, and has taken the time to get their designations as the agent below has mentioned.
opondomusa, , 10020
Sat Jan 26, 2013
The answer to your question lies in your ability to interview Realtors and ask them hard questions.You need to be very discerning let them know your expectations at the onset.

You can consider on referrals from friends/relatives and colleagues whose judgement you trust.
Margaret Moo…, Agent, Chapel Hill, NC
Fri Jan 25, 2013
What is important is the individual agent, their skills, knowledge and experience. There is no magic number when it comes to how many agents you should talk with before deciding who to work with, it's really about finding one you're comfortable with. Good luck
My NC Homes…, Agent, Chapel Hill, NC
Wed Jan 23, 2013
The secret is to take your time to interview them and to ask the right questions. Having been a Broker for over 20 years, and having worked with well over 1000 buyers, I can count the times on my fingers (with some left over) that Buyers who were "interviewing" me actually asked what I know to be the important questions in order to decide who to work with.

I've attached a link below to one of the most popular blogs I've ever written that specifically address how to find a great buyer broker regardless of where you live. I would encourage you to read it and then set aside some time to interview Realtors until you find one that has the experience combined with the personality to assist you.

I wish you the best of luck and happy house hunting.
Debbie and S…, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Wed Jan 23, 2013
Hi Robin,

All of these answers are correct. You need a special bond with anyone that you work with. I think the most important thing is to check the Realtor's reviews once you have selected one. I have been in real estate since 1990 and find that reviews are essential. I would be honored to help you find your dream home. Please give me a call 704-451-3895.

Debbie Arriero
ABR, AHWD, ASP, CRS, e-PRO, GRI, SFR, SRES, REALTOR
Serving the Charlotte area since 1990
http://www.PropertiesinCharlotte.com
2009 Charlotte Magazine 5 Star Customer Satisfaction Award Winner

Arriero Realty, Inc.
P.O. Box 77283
Charlotte, NC 28271
Office: 704-451-3895
Fax: 704-321-2403
Gail Jodon, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Tue Jan 22, 2013
I believe a good real estate broker asks prospective clients what price point they want to stay in and if they have been to a lender that can help establish your purchase power. Also, I always ask lifestyle questions...do you have a dog and want a good dog walking neighborhood, what amenities do you want close by, how long of a commute to work can you handle, do you home office, like to entertain and want an open floorplan..etc etc etc.
I specialize in unique properties so I am always thinking outside of the box! and so are my clients.
I really hope you find the right agent and of course, I would be happy to help you.
Abby Nelson, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Tue Jan 22, 2013
I couldn't agree more. You should talk to at least three different realtors to make sure your personalities match. Give me a call or email me and I would be glad to speak with you.

Abby Nelson
704-890-1860
abbynelson@bellsouth.net
Debra M. Buck, , Charlotte, NC
Tue Jan 22, 2013
Great question, Robyn!

I can honestly say, I recognize a lot of great Agents on this thread. I believe you need to speak to a few Agents and really make sure there is a synergy. Personality and having a commonality is important as you entrust one of us with quite possibly your largest purchase ever!

Interview a few Agents, talk to them about their process, their experience, their areas of expertise and speak to a few of their past Clients.

I would love to be apart of your interview process. Please let me know how I can help you!

Have a great night!
Debbie

Debra M Buck
Realtor/Broker
HM Properties
704.421.2107
Debra@hmproperties.com
Lexie Longst…, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Tue Jan 22, 2013
Trust me... you need an agent that will look outside of the box because there are not that many houses inside the box! It is a tough market out there right now for buyers. Low inventory and it is going fast. Interview several agents, and have them take you to a few houses. Don't just go sit at an office and ask them some questions. See what they tell you about the homes you like... and what they suggest for you. A good agent will be able to teach you about neighborhoods, and homes... so you make the right decision.
Sylvia Smith, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Tue Jan 22, 2013
Give me a call, and see if I'm the realtor for you. 704-392-0559. I'm from Charlotte, I've been licensed since 1988.
Jon Widdifie…, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Tue Jan 22, 2013
I am the person, I don't even know what the inside of the box looks like. 7047630059 Jon the realtor
Web Reference:  http://Www.jonnyagent.com
Brian Belcher, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Tue Jan 22, 2013
You start off by calling 704-287-3868 and ask for Brian Belcher.
Kelly Sniate…, Agent, Matthews, NC
Tue Jan 22, 2013
Hi Robyn, I think talking to a few different agents before deciding is always good. Your going to be working closely with this person so making sure you click and understand each other is key. I would also recommend asking your friends and family members if they have any good recommendations. Most of my clients come to me from referrals. I hope this is helpful.
Robin Faison, Agent, Kannapolis, NC
Tue Jan 22, 2013
Hey Robyn,

You can call this Robin at 704-564-5607. What are you looking for in a home? You can figure out your purchasing power with a good mortgage originator- can recommend a couple.

Robin Faison, broker
5 Star Winner for customer satisfaction since 2008
Hi Robin,

I have spoken with many agents and I feel they do not listen and I say this bc they send listing that do not fit. I am new to Charlotte from New York. I have been in construction for over 20 years, looking for home that is open, upgrades, new construction, hardwood floors, the wow factor, I want it to feel like home. There will be no need for mortgage, it will be a cash deal. It is hard because I built houses for a long time and I know quality. I rent in Ballentyne Village, area is sweet, but the hospitality is not friendly. Looking for home for me and my daughters, my number is 914-629-2233. Thank you!
Flag Tue Jan 22, 2013
Amy Baker, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Tue Jan 22, 2013
Robyn,

The best thing to do is to talk to a few different agents. Most of my buyers have told me that after just one phone conversation with an agent, they knew if that person understood their needs and was someone they would like to work with.

If you would like to start that conversation, don't hesitate to call or email. I'd love to talk to you about your needs.

Amy Baker
Allen Tate Realtors
704-258-1459
Amy.Baker@allentate.com
John Siddons…, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Tue Jan 22, 2013
You call me :)

I'd love to help you find your new home and I stay on top of the market tailored to what you're looking for.

Let me know if I can help, email me at John.Siddons@prucarolinas.com or call at 704-458-1843
Ruth and Per…, Agent, Los Gatos, CA
Tue Jan 22, 2013
Hi Robyn

Talk to the many agents who will respond to your post or
go to Open Houses and see if any of the agents hosting the home will
work for you.

Check with your friends or at Chruch.

Ruth

http://www.trulia.com/blog/perry_mistry
Web Reference:  http://ruthandperry.com/