How do I recover an escrow deposit on a defaulted real estate contract?

Asked by Lbilaw, Manahawkin, NJ Sun Sep 13, 2009

I had put down $55,000 on a condo in a Manahawkin, NJ developement by Kara Homes. Kara Homes went into bankruptcy and since they were unable to close on the unit they defaulted on the contract and I requested my escrow deposit back. This has been going on since March of 2007 and the local lawyer has yet to get any response from the escrow lawyer. How do I go about getting my esrow deposit back?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Laura Giannotta’s answer
Laura Gianno…, Agent, Manahawkin, NJ
Mon Sep 14, 2009
Many home buyers were stung when Kara went belly up. Unfortunately, we can't give you any better advice than your attorney.

Laura Giannotta
Keller Williams Realty - Atlantic Shore
0 votes
William Troy, Agent, Toms River, NJ
Sun Sep 13, 2009
When a company files bankruptcy like Kara did, all funds are frozen. Stay on top of things to make sure your request was submitted, but there is no guarantee. Good luck,

William F. Troy
Realtor Associate SRES, e-PRO, CDPE, Luxury Home Team
Veltri & Associates Realtors
1012 Cox Cro Rd.
Toms River, NJ 08755
Direct Dial (732)281-3067
Cell- (732)600-1570
Home- (732)961-0079
Fax- (732)557-6425
Home Fax- (732)961-0089
"When only the very best will do!"
0 votes
Patrick Thies, Agent, Anytown, IL
Sun Sep 13, 2009
It may take you awhile to get your money back if at all. Once a corporation or business (in this case the developer) files for bankruptcy, all assets are frozen. The courts will decide how the money, if any, left in the company will be distributed.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Home Buying in Manahawkin Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more