Home Buying in Miami>Question Details

Yolanda Diaz, Home Buyer in Miami, FL

How do I know if a listing is a fraud?

Asked by Yolanda Diaz, Miami, FL Sun Sep 23, 2012

Answers

14
Annette Lawrence’s answer
Yolanda,
Today's consumers are always faced with the delima, "Who can you trust?"
The reality is, you must be able to trust the source you are using. For instance, if you are using Trulia as your source you may find it helpful to know this is what Trulia states regarding the data you see:
-
"Trulia receives this listing from ListHub, a third party listing provider. As part of Trulia's syndication agreement with ListHub, Trulia has agreed to limit data edits on core fields (e.g. price and status) specified by ListHub."
-
What this means is the data is NOT from the multiple listing service(s). It also means when errant data is found the real esate professionals participating are unable to make corrections regarding data that has any influence on value.
-
The end result is consumer end up chasing illusions of homes for sale and/or vapors of home sold months ago. If you are a serious home buyer, you should use serious resources. The source of the most reliable, comprehensive, accurate, timely, relevant data is the local multiple listing service.

Any Realtor(r) in the Miami area can provide you FREE access. All you need to do is contact the one of your choice.
No. Don't use that 'contact' link.
No, don't use Trulia email.
This is serious business. Go old school and pick up the phone and call an agent, if you are serious.

Best of success in buying your new Miami home,
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax Realtec Group, Palm Harbor, FL
727.420.4041
http://RealEstateMadeEZ.us
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 24, 2012
The calls I've gotten on fraudulent listings have been cases when my listings have been hyjacked on Craigs List....you do need to be cautious about that. Advice to work with an agent and tap listings that are actively listed in your local MLS is sound.

Here are two good tip offs:
1. Too good to be true;
2. Asking you to send money.

Good luck to you,
Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service, Unsurpassed Results
...ready to serve in New Jersey
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 24, 2012
I would email the listing to Trulia, fraud@trulia.com
Hello Yolanda,

if you are serious about buying a home, then you should work with a local realtor - at no cost to you.

Unless you are a cash buyer, the first thing you should do though is to contact a lender in regards a mortgage loan pre-approval.
With a pre-approval letter in hand you can start your shopping for homes - real estate agents and sellers will take you much more seriously when they see you have your mortgage funding in place.

If there is anything I can do to pre-approve you for the homes of your dreams, please feel free to contact me at your earliest convenience.

Beate Rodriguez
Lic. Loan Originator
NMLS# 299244

Beate.Rodriguez@HGFLoans.com
Cell: 954.695.4849
Hello Yolanda,
Any listing that interests you should be researched through the municipality's tax assessor's office to determine who the true owner is of the property. As others have mentioned, there are a great number of scammers on real estate web sites who pose as landlords attempting to gain people's personal information or money. You are wise to be cautious.

Good luck to you!

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty
Hi Yolanda, Very good question! It is all too common for someone who does not legally own a property to list it for sale or rent. One can never be too careful, particularly when buying a for sale by owner.

The easiest way to know if a listing is actually legitimate is to consult with a licensed Realtor. With access to the MLS, a realtor would have the property information provided by the listing agent, which he or she carefully collects from the Seller before the property can be posted to the MLS.

Another way to verify ownership would be to ask the seller for the original deed, property insurance, survey, county records and identification from the Seller to verify that in fact the person selling the home truly owns it. Never provide a seller any money until all this has been verified at which time an escrow agent should hold the deposit.

After all of this, select a title company. They will run a title search and verify other information before marketable title can be issued and a closing can occur.

Juan Sanchez – Broker Associate – 786.302.0351 - Real Living FSR – Miami - Coral Gables, Florida – USA
Yolanda,
There are some properties that appear on Trulia that are not necessarily listed properties. These are the homes that are posted here by a company called RealtyTrac that sells lien tracking services.

RealtyTrac shows you homes that have one or more liens filed against them in the county records. The number you see at the top of the RealtyTrac posting shows the amount of the lien. If it's an extremely low amount, then, most likely, the property is not actually for sale.

There's an old saying in real estate--If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Yolanda, if you're serious about buying a home, your best bet is to work with a reputable Realtor. Good luck.
Your best bet will probably be to have access to all active listings availble through the MLS which is what we Realtors use to sell or buy Homes.

For free access you can use my MLS personal website http://FreeSouthFloridaProperties.info

Hope this helps if I can be of further assistance feel free to contact me

Jorge Zubizarreta REO,CDPE,CHMS,e-PRO
REO Dept/ Short Sale Negotiator
Realtor / Real Estate Consultant
Atlantic & Pacific Real Estate (US)LLC

10307 NW 56 ST.
Doral, Fl 33178

(786)294-8697 Cell
(888)856-6829 Fax
zubihomes@gmail.com
http://FreeSouthFloridaProperties.info
A good way to be sure is by asking a real estate agent to look on the MLS

Sophie Bamps
Engel & Voelkers
305 206 8867
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 23, 2012
A removed listing from trulia it is because it is an scam or because the property is out of the market.
I sold this condo few months ago and still show on trulia as unknown listing.
http://www.trulia.com/property/3087027176-13791-SW-66th-St-E…
and the one you were looking at is not at trulia anymore.

GL
Thank you for taking the time to answer. I really have a gut feeling that this a fraud. It is a 4/2 going for $1000.00 utilitys included. The supposed owner emailed me giving me this huge explaination as to why it was so economical, without me asking why. When people give me too much explanations and to many details. That to me is an immediate read flag. Also the fact he said he would send me the key in the mail since he is working in Union City, Florida so I can view the property. The entire transaction will take place via email and mail. Of course I have not given him my mailing address. Something very wrong with this picture. Thanks again
Flag Sun Sep 23, 2012
The property you mentioned it is a homestead property on Miami dade county public records.
Is the listing on an MLS? Is is posted by a licensed broker? Do you have a specific listing of concern? Are you looking for "general rules" for spotting a bogus listing?
It is a rental property
Flag Sun Sep 23, 2012
Thank you for responding. Address 7220 SW 97 Ave. Miami, fl.
Flag Sun Sep 23, 2012
only if you know the owner.
But there is many people using wrongful information to steal others people money.
Just make sure you are working with the Right Agent, check my profile.

Carlos Escamilla
I do't think you will find any Fraud listings on trulia. The info on trulia is pulled from reputable sources. You can also contact Me directly and I can help you with info on any listing in the Miami area.
Thank you for responding. How can I check a listing at 7220 SW 97 Ave. Miami, fl. The listing was removed from Trulia.com. and the owner contacted me via email and it sounds to goot to be true.
Flag Sun Sep 23, 2012