Denice B, Home Buyer in Carlsbad, CA

How do I know if a home I am looking at has MelloRoos?

Asked by Denice B, Carlsbad, CA Thu Aug 23, 2012

Do Mello Roos only seem to be in new construction areas? How can I tell if a home I am looking at will have that added "tax"? Thanks!

Answers

10
Tony Cannon, Agent, Carlsbad, CA
Thu Aug 23, 2012
The definitive source is the San Diego County tax collector's website, http://www.sdtreastax.com. Usually you can put in a property address and see the breakdown of all the taxes if you go through the "pay your bill online" button. I have found searching by address to be a little unreliable though. By parcel number always works.

In Carlsbad, it seems Mello Roos started with CFD #1 May 20, 1991, so if the house is older than that, you won't have Mello Roos.

And if you happen to know a home's assessed value(per the tax records), and if the current annual tax is more than 1.1% of the assessed value, then that is probably a home with Mello Roos.

Or call a real estate agent. We love to answer questions like this!
OB Juncal &…, Agent, Carlsbad, CA
Thu Aug 23, 2012
Hi Denice,

I was looking how you may find it on Trulia. The suggestion that I would make is to look at the taxes that were paid last year and see what percentage that is of the price. For instance, if a house has a tax value of $500k and they paid taxes of $7,500 Then the tax rate is 1.5%. Typical starting rate of taxes is just below 1.1%. Mello roos are bonds for schools, streetlights, fire departments, etc. Since they are bonds they eventually get paid off. But, since they are bonds they also are not a percentage of assessed value, but a fixed amount. If your bonds equal $2500 per year then if the house price dropped to $400k in the scenario above then the effective tax rate would change to closer to 2%. If you scroll down to the property tax column on Trulia you can see what i am saying.
Bill Hays, Agent, Cardiff, AL
Thu Aug 23, 2012
Are you looking at this home without a realtor? Typically the MLS sheet will provide information regarding HOA fees, Mello Roos, special assessments, etc. However, you shouldn't rely on that information without further investigation. The County Assessor's office can be helpful. Try this link to start:

http://www2.sdcounty.ca.gov/pts/fcsasearch.asp

It would help you immensely to have a trusted and competent realtor at your side. Questions like this one make me concerned about well meaning buyers and sellers who either - don't trust their realtor and that is why they are here asking these questions (which begs the question why are they using that realtor in the first place), or just haven't found one yet...which if you are looking at a home, you really should have expert local insights....and not the listing agent.

Good luck and please call if you have any other questions.

BeachBrokerBill
Coastal Homes of San Diego
CA DRE 01775528
(760) 525-8698
Tiffany Boyd,…, Agent, Carlsbad, CA
Thu Aug 23, 2012
Denice,
It is usually listed on the MLS, and most local agents can probably tell you after a quick look at the listing.
If you are curious about a particular home - I'd be happy to look it up for you.
I can also get you a quick email link to that data for any future properties in your price range.
Feel free to call me anytime.
Tiffany Boyd
760 533-2244
Realtor, Keller Williams Carlsbad
6005 Hidden Valley Rd. Ste. 200
Carlsbad, CA 92011
TiffanyHomes@yahoo.com
Steven Ornel…, Agent, Fremont, CA
Thu Aug 23, 2012
Hi Denise,

The process of investigation for determining the tax bill for an individual property, including whether there's any Mello-Roos, is covered below:

"Estimating Property Taxes in CA"
http://www.trulia.com/blog/steve_ornellas_mba_re_mastersgri/…

-Steve
Nwansandra, Home Buyer, Banning, CA
Mon Sep 12, 2016
Hello

I'm in the process of purchasing my first home. I was told the this house does not have an HOA or a
Mello Roos. Now that I am halfway throught the Lender states that the has a Mello ROOS. I am Very Frustrated!!! This is my first home and i can't afford. a HOA or a Mello Roos. Can you please help?

Thank You for your help
Flag Mon Sep 12, 2016
Monica McCor…, Agent, Carlsbad, CA
Sun Sep 2, 2012
Your agent should be able to verify this easily by looking up tax base as well... I do this for all my clients though out San Diego and South Riverside area's.
Cindy Davis, Agent, San Diego, CA
Sat Aug 25, 2012
Mello Roos, to my knowledge, started in the 1990's. So, any home from there on might be subject to mello roos. Most homes since 2003 have mello roos and the newer the hone, the higher the mello roos tends to be.

While looking for a home, I would ask your agent to filter out any home that does or does not have mello roos - or has a low one. We can do that from the MLS.

I'd be delighted to do that for you if that would be helpful!
Maria Chambe…, Agent, CA,
Fri Aug 24, 2012
Go to tax assessor office or look at tax roll, titile office can help with this
. If purchasing a Short Sale have listing agent send you prelims right away, before depositing EDM.
Jerry Heard, Agent, San Diego, CA
Thu Aug 23, 2012
Denise,
Your Realtor should be able to find that information for you very quickly. This is something that the listing agent should disclose as well. All of this information is in the tax records.
Mello Roos is typically found in newer areas but the program actually was available starting in the late 70s. Since the bonds are typically for 30 years many of the older ones have run their course.
If you are not working with a Realtor I would be happy to help you find the right hoe for your needs.

Local Help with Your Real Estate Needs

Jerry Heard
Your Broker
The San Diego Property Shop
http://www.TheSanDiegoPropertyShop.com
jerry.sdps@cox.net
Direct 619-920-9796
Office 619-269-5545
Fax 619-269-9168
CA DRE # 00648687