How do I know if I have to pay the school district tax or an equalization school tax? What's the difference?

Asked by Ivan Chedah, Dallas, TX Wed Dec 5, 2012

I'm thinking about starting my search in Irving where some of the homes fall under the Carrollton-Farmers Branch school district tax. Well that tax is very expensive as are most school district taxes. I've researched some homes whose tax bill doesn't include this tax rate, but only a school equalization rate which is considerably cheaper. Why don't they have to pay the more expensive tax rate unit? Sorry for the long winded question.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Kim Nwachukwu, Agent, Irving, TX
Thu Dec 6, 2012
All properties in Dallas County pay a school equalization tax - it's part of the Dallas
County tax rate. All properties in the CFBISC pay CFBISD school taxes, all properties do. Be careful what you research on the internet, it's kind of like that GEICO commercial, not everything you read on the internet is accurate. When you pull up information on the DCAD sight, you are not seeing a tax bill, you are seeing an information sheet - and the possibility exists that it may not match the tax bill. Your agent should be able to calculate and estimate the correct taxes for any property, I do that for my clients on a daily basis. Ask your agent to calculate the right taxes for you.
0 votes
I called the tax office at CFBISD and the lady said their tax collector sends out statements for their school district. So if I heard her right, she said homeowners are paying a dallas county tax statement and a CFBISD tax statement every year. Does that sound right?
Flag Thu Dec 6, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more