How do I find out the owners of home?

Asked by Aignap, Eagan, MN Sun Jun 29, 2008

I am thinking of renting a home in Stockton, CA and have been communicating with owner via email about his property. He claims to be out of the country and wants to rent out his property for the next two years. i would like to know that the person I am dealing with (via emails) is legitimate and will not get myself screwed. Thanks.

Answers

2
Carol Pease,…, Agent, Austin, TX
Sun Jun 29, 2008
Try searching your county's website for properties. I wouldl be very leary of someone who claimed to be out of the country for 2 years. How did you find the listing in the first place? With the market the way it is right now there are lots of scams involving rental properties. There are even people taking possession of properties that are vacant and then placing them up for rent even though they don't own them. Theyj just collect the rent in cash until someone comes along and evicts the poor tenant when the property goes into true foreclosure. If you know someone at a title company I would also consider having someone run a title search for you to verify current county information.
Web Reference:  http://www.LeanderHomes.com
Bay Jackson, , Shreveport, LA
Sun Jun 29, 2008
You can contact the tax assessor's office and see who is paying the property taxes on the property. You can also obtain a copy of the deed at the courthouse. The assessors office will have the address that the tax notices are currently mailed to, that address should match the address oif the person you are communicating via email. Don't send any money to anyone until you have done your homework!