How do I find out about the status of a particular property - eg. if it's pre-foreclosure or other, etc? Thanks.

Asked by Lauren Childes, Miami, FL Tue Mar 20, 2012

Answers

14
AUFI INVESTM…, Home Seller, Miami, FL
Thu Oct 3, 2013
Tax collector's website look for the county's website
Juan Sanchez, Agent, Coral Gables, FL
Wed Jun 5, 2013
Public records-County tax roles have that information.
Luis Iglesias, Agent, Coral Gables, FL
Thu Sep 27, 2012
Alice,

Normally the listing agent will include that information in the listing. If not, I would suggest working with a buyers agent so that they can provide you will all pertinent and accurate information.
Angel Calzad…, Agent, Fort Lauderdale, FL
Sat Mar 31, 2012
Dear Alicia, there is an endless number of professions in this world and every day that passes we see that comes to the surface other endless number of specificities in the field of human knowledge that evenly with the advance of technology requires the emergence of new highly specialized job profiles capable of resolving the slightest demand of an audience every day more avid in consumerism. More than 5 generations ago to today, our ancestors used to go to the barber of the town when they had a toothache. In our days, it is mandatory to go to a licensed dentist for the extraction of a tooth with the previous assistance of an X-ray technician.
Similarly, the practice of Real Estate in United States of America has developed and advanced in specific areas increasingly and highly complex to be resolved by the average citizen when it becomes as a seller or buyer of a residential or commercial property due to the enormous number of legal issues and decisions involved in a real estate transaction. That's why we realtors exist and as real estate professionals we have all the knowledge and tools to serve major customers like you, Alice.

Very truly yours,

Angel Calzadilla
Prudential Florida Realty
(954) 632-3593
Lauren Child…, , Miami, FL
Thu Mar 22, 2012
Thank you everyone, I don't see a reason to ask an estate agent - surely this is a question I can find out the information to myself? Someone suggested using Public Records, I like the sound of that, does anyone know where I might begin?

Thanks again.
Stephanie Le…, Agent, Miami Lakes, FL
Wed Mar 21, 2012
Hi Alice,

You really should be working with an agent. As they have access to all the details to any property.

As a buyer the services of the agent are free as the Seller pays the commission.

You have nothing to lose by using an agent and everything to gain..

Web Reference:  http://www.SLeonRealtor.com
Gary Geer, Agent, Antioch, IL
Wed Mar 21, 2012
Contact your agent. We have access to the information you need. There is no charge for this service. In addition an agent can help you find that perfect home and at the price you want to pay. This is a great buyers market.

Gary Geer

http://www.ggeer.illinoisproperty.com
Ray Jourdain, Agent, Coral Gables, FL
Wed Mar 21, 2012
If the agent placing the ad did not include this data then have your personal agent check the status for you. The actual listing agents always know the current status since they are working with the seller's bank.
Lila Lopez, Agent, South Miami, FL
Wed Mar 21, 2012
Good Morning,

If you are working with a realtor he/she can do some work to find out what may be going on with this particular property. If it is actively for sale the agent will be able to tell you, as well as if it is in currently under contract. If it is not actively on the market the most you can find out is if has had a foreclosure proceeding filed on it, and where it may be in the process by doing a basic public records search. If it is not actively on the market, the owner may or may not look to place the home on the market, the only way to know would be trying to reach out to the owner. Good luck in your search.

Lila Lopez
RE/MAX Advance Reatly
305-772-2521
Ann Ryan, Agent, Doral, FL
Tue Mar 20, 2012
If there's no for sale sign on the house, it's a bit more difficult to find out the status of a particular property. Of course, there are ways! Contact me if you want to learn more.
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Tue Mar 20, 2012
The most up to date info is from your local MLS by a local Realtor. First thing to note is pre-foreclosures are just in the foreclosure business and most are not even for sale as the home owner usually owes more than it is worth and can not sell. Bank owned homes also known as REO homes are ones that have gone through the foreclsoure auction, deeds are clear, property vacant and priced to sell.
Web Reference:  http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
Irina Karan, Agent, Aventura, FL
Tue Mar 20, 2012
It depends...If you are working with an agent, then the agent will find out all the scoop for you
by calling the listing agent. Unfortunately, the status of the listing in Multiple Listing System (MLS) is not always shown correctly. It gets especially bad in short sales, when the property is under agreement yet is showing as active.That's why it's best for your agent to call/email the listing agent.
Your agent can ask all the important questions that you have. Questions you might want to ask:
1) Is this an REO (Real Estate Owned) property? REO means a foreclosed property (the bank now owns it) 2) Is this a short sale? Short sale is when the owner is in financial hardship and owes more than the property is worth. Short sales are subject to the short sale bank's approval 3) How long has the seller has been in default? This is important because new changes in FL law will expedite many foreclosures 4) How many lenders are on the property? 5) Are there maintenance/HOA fees due on the property? 6) Are there city or other liens on the property? etc.Having a good agent on your team simplifies your your search for information...

If you do this research yourself, you can also get in touch with the listing agent or the marketing/co-brokering agent. This could be done through Trulia.com, Realtor.com, Zillow.com. Hope this helps.

Good luck with your search!
Irina Karan/Beachfront Realty, Inc. Certified REO Specialist, CDPE 305-904-2355 IrinaKaran@gmail.com
Suzanne Hall, Agent, Laguna Niguel, CA
Tue Mar 20, 2012
Your local Realtor will be able to locate the present status of the home you are interested in by looking at the property profile and viewing any present liens, notice of default filed or trustee sale. If you need any further details, I will be more than happy to assist you in your search for the perfect home. Thanks Suzanne Hall
Manon Mohamm…, Agent, Coral Gables, FL
Tue Mar 20, 2012
Hi there,
what is the address?
Manon
Thanks everyone - I don't want to give the address because I'm living here, suspect the owner hasn't paid the mortgage for some years and has probably abandoned the property. But I really don't know what's going on with the property, I've been paying rent to the condo association who I suspect don't have the right to lease it. Would like to deal directly with the bank who owns it, not an estate agent. So how do I find out how far behind the owner is/if it's in foreclosure? Must be some place I can research that. It isn't on Trulia.
Flag Tue Mar 20, 2012