How do I find an aggressive and knowledgeable Realtor in Scottsdale?

Asked by Miramar123, Boynton Beach, FL Mon Nov 19, 2012

I've had the same real estate agent for the past 2 years. I've found several places I wanted to make an offer on, but my agent seems to act so slowly everything is under contract or already has offers on it before I get a chance to put in an offer. I also need someone aggressive and familiar with FHA financing and she is not. I feel like I need to find a different agent, but I like her and I'm worried about hurting her feelings or stressing her out. What should I do?

Answers

32
Phil Griffith, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Wed Jul 3, 2013
Hello (again?) I seem to remember this question a year or so ago? Don't know if this is a real buyer, or just Trulia wanting to puff up their ratings?? The ARMLS group of realtors now, I believe, number around 20,000 or so. And, you are having difficulty finding an "agressive" realtor knowledgeable in FHA? Sorry, but that is hard to believe. In almost 40 years of actively representing sellers and buyers here in Metro Phx., many of whom had or acquired FHA/VA financing, I have met 100's, if not more, of agents familiar with this kind of financing. Keep looking.

Phil Griffith
CAgent007, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Mon Nov 19, 2012
Hi Miramar

It has nothing to do with your realtor, properties will not last long in our market and cash is king. You are offering FHA so Conventional and Cash offers go to the front of the line. Remember never worry about hurting your Realtors feelings its business and the best thing to do with her is sit her down and let her know how and what you expect out of her before you fire her (showings, offers, etc) give her one more chance but let her know what you expect from her or you will be looking for someone else. Good luck and you are not the only one going through this, depending on your price range if you are not offering at asking price or higher than your chances are slim to none.

Also FHA will not allow you to pursue all properties in our market, flips, some bank owned, and others might not be available to you.

Juan Pesqueira
American Associates Real Estate
Homes | Condos | Investments
Spanish and English speaking Realtor
Realtor, Appraiser
8930 E. Raintree Drive Suite 200
Scottsdale, AZ 85260
Office 480-458-8007 | Fax 480.767.7200
email: pesqueira2@cox.net
Websites:
http://www.tempehomescondos.com/
http://azluxuryhomeblog.com/
http://temperealestateblog.wordpress.com/

Yes Dreams Come True, Let me Show You!
Gail Dishman, Agent, Sedona, AZ
Mon Nov 19, 2012
Probably not your Realtor. That happens all the time. The inventory has slowed down. Investors are buying things up too. If you are searching on Zillow or places like that they are slow to update the listing. It may be sold but still show as for sale when you see them. In our MLS we can set up clients with an automatic responder. The minute something comes on the market in your criteria it pops you off an email. Or use your Realtors website for the search. It is directly connected to their MLS and up to date by the moment.
Jonathan Dal…, Agent, Glendale, AZ
Thu Aug 22, 2013
For my fellow agents on Voices ... are any of you answering now looking at the date on the question or where the client's located?

Just a hunch, someone in Boynton Beach, Florida isn't available for a cup of coffee in Scottsdale. And an aggressive agent probably wouldn't wait 10 months to respond to the question.

Let's keep it current and try and help consumers as they come along. My two cents.
well put...
Flag Fri Aug 23, 2013
Laura Myers…, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Wed Aug 21, 2013
You have a lot of options. I'd like to interview with you. Can we meet for a cup of coffee in my office. We decide if we are a match and proceed from there. My full consultation is no obligation.
Contact me at 480/420-4735
Laura Myers
AZ Real Estate Consultants
Keller Williams Arizona Realty
John Torrey, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Wed Aug 21, 2013
Look no further.... I am a Scottsdale realtor who has my own team and use to be a lender for years... I know all the loan products and would be happy to help you. I can call the realtor for you and take care of it... Call me at 480-220-7248
Liz Eichelbe…, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Wed Aug 21, 2013
Hello, I am an aggressive and knowledgeable Scottsdale Realtor. I live and sell here in Scottsdale so know the area very well. I have had huge success in beating out other offers and getting my clients into their home of choice. If you are ready to try someone new I am here to make it happen for you. You can visit my website to see the testimonials from my clients. It is http://www.AZDreamHomeProperties.com. Thanks, Liz
John Torrey, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Mon Aug 12, 2013
Give me a call as soon as you can I have past mortgage experience and can help answer a lot of financing type questions.
Bianca Benne…, Agent, Glendale, AZ
Tue Jul 9, 2013
I can help you!!! Please contact me.

Real Estate Professional / Prestige Realty
Bianca Bennett / 602-570-7898
Bianca@InvestInArizonaHomes.com
Website: http://www.InvestInArizonaHomes.com
Cristine Orz…, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Colorado Springs, CO
Wed Jul 3, 2013
I too am wondering if you were serious 2 yrs ago there was much higher inventory (buyers market)
Now we are in a sellers market here that is a very different offer environment.....multiple offers are becoming the norm. I would be happy to speak and see if you wish to move forward in today's market place. Warm regards
Howard Rudin, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Mon Nov 26, 2012
If you have been looking for two years and have not been able to secure a property I would say you do need to consider making a change. Your agent may be wanting to make a change as well. A frank discussion with her about what has transpired, how you are feeling and where she thinks things are going is probably the best place to start. Maybe she is frustrated as well. One of you needs to take the lead and lay out the cards.

The next thing I would do as your agent is have you talk to my lender and explore your loan options. A 5% down Conventional Mortgage will position you better in the market and save you money in the long run as well. If you do stay with FHA, it is important to bid fast and bid strong as many of my counterparts on here have also stated.

I would love to help you in finding your new home. I am a full-time REALTOR and work very hard for my clients. There are many great agents out there. Pick someone you like, can relate to, feel comfortable with and trust.

If I can be of service please call me at 602-390-8088 or email me at howardrudin@yahoo.com.

I wish you all the best.

Howard Rudin
WEST USA REALTY
602-390-8088
Philip Cabral, Agent, San Jose, CA
Mon Nov 26, 2012
There are a lot of agents out here who will gladly take your business.

However, I would recommend you talk to your current realtor with your concerns and ask him/her for a game plan. I too have a client with FHA financing. And, long-story-short, FHA financing is the last option for most sellers. With multiple offers, sellers will consider all cash, 50% conventional, 20%, 10%, before they consider FHA with its 3.5%.

You almost have to be the only offer on a house that's been on the market for a very long time. And, a house that's been on the market for a long time is again problematic with an FHA financing. It might not be your agent's fault.

My game plan to my client was to find a way to increase his savings and go loan shopping. After three months, he was approved for a 10% conventional and we are currently in escrow. I know that might not be a way out for you but sometimes it is what it is.
Sun Nov 25, 2012
Make a specific list of questions to use when interviewing at least 3a realtors! You know what you need :) and think of your realtor as your partner in seeking actively homes that are available ....please do note that highly desirable homes are getting multiple offers almost as soon as they become available. Hope to hear should you wish to ask more questions. Warm regards and happy hunting!
Jeff and Jane…, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Sun Nov 25, 2012
We haven't been part of your home search so there there are circumstances that I am sure we're not aware of that's been part of your home search. So let's start from scratch. Talk to your agent and set your expectations, example, you need to purchase within a certain period of time be it 1 month or 10 years. 2. Communications - How can they contact you quickly with an opportunity and when you have looked at the opportunities that have been provided by your agent, how you can contact them for the fastest response. 3. Ask what the current environment is for your market segment. In AZ if we have a client looking for a home to purchase in up to $200K range your going to be nimble and make an appropriate offer to be considered. Most of these homes have multiple offers. We just sold a home at $195K and had eleven offer on the property. All offers were in within 3 days of the home being placed on the market. The winning offer was above the asking price and the offer was clean. Know the market your entertaining so you can act accordingly. This is just a few but important tasks that must be considered as a buyer. You should have already had some of these discussions with your agent and if not - Have that discussion, it's to your benefit.

Not knowing the entire story I can not make a recommendation on dropping your agent or finding a new one. You have two years invested in working with this indidvidual so you must have developed some working relationship. If it is a skill set issue with the agent then it would be time to interview a new agent for the skills set necessary to get the job done for you. There are many great agents that are working in the industry. Like any industry you have agents that work in the realm of excellence and then you have the good, bad, and ugly. Interview carefully.
bluewickedbu…, Both Buyer And Seller, Mill Valley, CA
Fri Nov 23, 2012
Like clockwork, you got lots of answers with mostly solicitations.

Time for a new agent, dump the one you have now. A buyer agent is supposed to work in your best interest but as you've discovered, only saints can do so when they benefit from all parts of a transaction that do not benefit you.

If the house price is higher, they benefit.
If you offer higher, they benefit.
If you have fewer contingencies, they benefit.
If you don't ask for repairs or compensation to get them done, they benefit.
If you rush through a deal, they benefit.

Yet, somehow, you're supposed to believe that none of this will matter right? Uh-huh. Would you walk into a lawsuit litigation if the other side was paying your attorney? Laughing yet?

Don't worry about hurting an agent's feelings or stressing them out. An important rule not to forget and it doesn't matter if you are the buyer or seller. This is about you, not the agents. Agents are just a mechanism in the process and extract value from it. Now it might seem like I'm being harsh or dislike agents when nothing could be farther from the truth. Agents play an essential function for many home buyers and sellers but lets be completely honest about it, they make a lot of money to do what they do too and the higher the price of the house, the more money they make.

The real estate industry is broken, especially in how agents work and in the methods and means in which they are compensated. The whole industry is geared to do one thing, get the buyer to pay as much as possible for a house while you can't name one entity in the corner of the buyer to see that the least is paid, except you,if you are the buyer.

Back to your agent. A one liner works best. "Thanks for your past service however, I will not require your service after your receipt or this (email or letter). That is it. No long explanations, no apologies, no nothing.

Then you move on.

So find a new agent. Buying a house is business. Better believe it is business to the agents, they aren't doing any of this because they are your friends. The more you treat house buying as a business the less likely you are to get frustrated and the bad end of a deal.
Teresa R. Fa…, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Tue Nov 20, 2012
I am sure you will get several responses to your inquiry, I will be happy to supply you with clients of mine that will be happy to let you know of their experiences in working with me. I can handle getting offers submitted immediately utilizing electronic signatures. This can expedite the process even if the seller/bank requires a wet signature after the fact.

If you have not found the right fit yet, feel free to contact me.

Take care and best of luck!
Teresa

Teresa R. Fahl, Realtor ~ Fine Homes Specialist
Prudential Arizona Properties ~ Troon North
28190 N. Alma School Road, Suite #111 | Scottsdale, AZ 85262
Email: tfahl@cox.net | Cell: 480.620.5738 | http://www.TNTFineProperties.com
Andy Griffin, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Tue Nov 20, 2012
Yes, properties are moving quickly, FHA is the last option for most Sellers and your Realtor may/may not be working as hard as they could.

This Real Estate market is hard for buyers like you and Realtors who wait for things to turn. It is what it is. Bottom line is you have spun your wheels for 2 years and missed the huge swing in appreciation, so what now?

Politely let your agent know you appreciate all that she has done, but that you have decided to look in another direction.

I have built my business on hustling for clients from investors to the FHA buyer like you. My team knocks on doors in area's we have buyers, sends direct mail pieces, combs through expired / canceled listings on MLS and calls Sellers and let them know we have a Buyer. We call agents who list homes in that area and ask them if they have something coming up that would fit. Break that down to one word, its what we do. Hustle.

Let me know if I can help. http://www.andygriffin.com
Karlene, Agent, Phoenix, AZ
Tue Nov 20, 2012
Call her.. and give her your feelings...
I bet she will step it up and you both will be happy...

GOOD LUCK...
Brent Hammon…, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Tue Nov 20, 2012
Did you need aggressive? 602-717-3219 Happy to sink my teeth into getting you under Contract. Ask me about my "Verbal Offer" strategy. Works like a charm. Google me...I have multiple Scottsdale based home search web sites...Pit bull in disguise.

Brent Hammonds, Associate Broker
Karlene, Agent, Phoenix, AZ
Tue Nov 20, 2012
Call me... and you will have one...
602-376-3245 cell

Talk to you soon,
Karlene
Kim Henley, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Tue Nov 20, 2012
A lot of the frustration you are feeling could be just due to the market. It is hard to know for sure but our inventory in Maricopa County is down to about 16,000 homes whereas the normal is more around 45,000. Therefore, the market is very competitive.

In this market, an agent has to be very actively searching for a home and ready to show it to you on almost no notice. Another thing is you need to make the buyer stand out to the seller. I have several techniques that I use that have really worked well for me to get my clients offers accepted.

I have been an agent since 1997 and work 7 days a week. I am always available for my clients. I would love to talk to you if you so desire.

Kim 602-430-6455
Phil Griffith, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Tue Nov 20, 2012
Remember, all licensed and active agents have access to the same information. Some of us have been "in the business" longer than others, and some of us possess different sets of sales skills. Finding the right home for a buyer is not always just going through the MLS. You need to sharpen your due diligence questions when interviewing an agent to see if there will a fit for you. It is said often that what we do is not rocket science, but after 35+ years of selling here in the Valley, I can assure you there can be a difference. Perhaps after 2 years of looking, the agent might question your interest or sincerity? Finding a qualified FHA mortgage person is not hard. There are many. Good luck.l There are some great buys out there right now. The good ones go fast.

Phil Griffith
Russ Lyon Sothebys
602-330-7860
Charles and…, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Mon Nov 19, 2012
Hi Miramar, We are Realtors in the Scottsdale/Paradise Valley/Fountain Hills, Carefree/Cave creek areas. Most of our buyers come from cold parts of the country looking for the home that they worked for their entire lives. They want a new lifestyle, even if it is your first little place here in AZ. to get the feel, or if you are ready for the retirement mansion,. We want our clients to be excited to get off the plane each and every time. When they find the right house, they can say, "yes, I will feel excited to open this door". We want our clients to love their new home. It is kinda like a marriage. You don't want one that is okay? One that will do? Want one because you couldn't find the right one? We want a new home that you will still love in five years and possibly improve. We do our homework when we
find the perfect home and get our clients the best homes for the best prices. We would love to show you are references who are all happy campers. We are informed and educated in our market areas.
Love to help you find your perfect property.

Charles and Diana Mettille
Realty One Group
480 683 2000
Victoria Fel…, Agent, Phoenix, AZ
Mon Nov 19, 2012
Speak with your realtor about your concerns as soon as possible then act on what is in your best interest for you to reach your goal. This may mean changing agents.
You do need an aggressive agent in a market with low inventory of homes where Buyer competition is fierce. Let me know.
Victoria Felice, Associate Broker
Realty ONE Group
FREE MLS Search http://www.NortheastScottsdale.com
602-359-5432 ScottsdaleVictoria@gmail.com
Laura Myers…, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Mon Nov 19, 2012
Hi Miramar
Communication is paramount in completing your purchase. FHA purchasing is very strategic in order to compete with cash and conventional buyers.
I'm also reading that your Realtor is now working with you two years. Have you been trying this long? I'm suggesting a sit down with her to share your thoughts and also be open to suggest she explain why she thinks this may be happening and be willing to let her share exactly what she thinks. If there is no match in what you want and what she can provide then agree to part ways. I you want an aggressive Realtor it is important you act aggressive in your response times to here as well since property sells quickly. You can set up a strategy to match your needs to get results.
Let me know how I can help
Laura Myers
AZ Real Estate Consultants
Keller Williams Arizona Realty
480-600-6213
Shahla Mentha, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Mon Nov 19, 2012
Hello Miramar,

You need a local expert Buyer's Agent who works in the area you're looking to purchase. An agent who checks the area daily and helps you win.
We have been experiencing multiple offer situation this year and your offer has to be submitted fast and be strong. Of course cash is the one wins 95% of the time. Give it more time if you're not in a hurry.
Your agent is probably trying her best, but if you decide to go for a change and need a local Scottsdale expert who lives, works and knows the area well and knows how to make all kinds of offers including FHA, contact me directly.

Best of luck,

Shahla Mentha, ABR, e-Pro, REALTOR®
Executive Real Estate Consultant
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
Direct: 602-741-0755
O Fax: 480-483-4917
mentha.shahla@gmail.com
http://www.azmove1.com
Jeanne Brand…, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Mon Nov 19, 2012
There are alot of great agents in Scottsdale. I work for a small company and we specialize in client servicing. I would love to have the opportunity to respond personally to your needs and concerns. I always return clients calls within 1 hour and because my children are grown I am available days, nights and weekends. I have had my license in Scottsdale since 2006 and have been a top producer. I pride myself on my customer service and sell in all areas of Phoenix greater area. Please feel free to contact me for more information. Thank you.

Jeanne Brandom
Kiva Fine Properties
480-612-1965
Debra H Lee, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Mon Nov 19, 2012
I have been successfully selling real estate for over 25 years. I will find you a home and get it closed. It sounds like you need someone who is willing to give you every possible advantage in this competitive market. I can do that for you. Please contact me. I live and work in the Scottsdale area, understand FHA financing and would love to help you.

Debra Lee
Associate Broker
Realty Executives
480-948-9450(office)
602-697-9012(cell)
debra@debrahlee.com
Loren Hoboy, Agent, Phoenix, AZ
Mon Nov 19, 2012
Bluntly, in this market you need to hire an experienced full time agent that can respond quickly to present your offers and help provide you guidance on the making the offer. If it is not working out, it can be time for a change. You may have signed an Exclusive Broker Employment Agreement that has not expired. If you wish to hire a different agent, you will want to request that you and your current agent mutually agree to terminate the Buyer Broker agreement if it has not yet expired . Most agents will agree, especially if 2-years have gone by and you don't yet have a house.

As far as lender are concerned, I have two excellent lenders I can recommend. Let me know. The choice of lenders will be dependent on what your FICO credit score and how your loan needs to be structured to meet your financial objectives and match your available cash for closing. It is easier to explore your options with the specifics of your situation. Once that is understood, a knowledgable agent can recommend how to structure your offer, considering seller concessions (covering closing costs) and considering offer price. This would address your FHA required experience.

Loren Hoboy-Realtor
Your Local Expert
Central AZ Real Estate
LHoboy@centralAZhomes.com
623-688-0004
Grant Olsen, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Mon Nov 19, 2012
Hello Miramar,

You are not alone in the process of not being successful in closing an FHA deal. Did you know only 42% of residential deals actually make it to close?

I'm on a real estate team in Scottsdale that handles these issues on a daily basis. I do not want to give away our secrets of success so if you would like to find out how my team successfully produces closed FHA deals, shoot me an email or give me a phone call at 480-800-9635 or 480-473-4900. I would gladly discuss what we can do to meet your real estate goals.

If you are worried about leaving your other realtor, we would gladly give them a referral when we close.

Grant Olsen
REALTOR®
Prudential Arizona Properties
(480) 800-9635
http://www.InvestAzSunshine.com
Joseph Domino, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Mon Nov 19, 2012
I do not know what kind of problems you are encountering, but if you are willing to make aggressive offers you will succeed. I specialize in getting offers in quickly and in good order.
Wade Kawaha…, Agent, Phoenix, AZ
Mon Nov 19, 2012
Good homes do not last in this market. It may be a combination of problems like getting paperwork back and forth and waiting to make or submit the offer. In this market, even a small pause may be enough to lose a home. If you are interested in a home, your agent should at least call the seller's agent and let them know that you are going to submit an offer and let them know when they should expect it.

I am familiar with the challenges of FHA financing. There are some ways to structure the offer to make it more attractive, even with FHA financing. It is hard to change agents, especially if you have been working together for a while, but your main objective is to get a home. And if you aren't seeing results, then you have to decide what the problem is and correct it.