How do I find Realtors who specialize in just REO foreclosures?

Asked by mary.sesma, San Jose, CA Fri Jun 29, 2012

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Bill Mccord’s answer
Bill Mccord, Agent, San Jose, CA
Fri Jun 29, 2012
You don't.
Any agent who chose this tiny portion of the market will be out of the business in very few months.
Any professional agent can deal with any for sale property. The specialization you refer to does not exist.
If you find a person claiming this expertise you are dealing with a charlatan.
Hire a profesional Agent and be guided by their advice.
Good luck
Note: be aware that not all Real Estate Agents are Realtors. There is a significant difference.
1 vote
Flag Mon Sep 12, 2016
Deenateen, Home Buyer, South Miami, FL
Wed Jun 10, 2015
Look on the MLS for other REO homes that are already listed. Call up the agent representing the listed home.

Click Here for More Information:
4 votes
Robert Chome…, , San Diego, CA
Fri Jun 29, 2012
Really most activate agents closing a decent number of transactions "specialize" in REO foreclosures, because that has been a large percentage of the market since mid 2008.
1 vote
Bob Lasswell, Agent, Morgan Hill, CA
Fri Jun 29, 2012
Is there a specific reason you want an agent that does REOs only? Bank owned properties are not harder. Short sales are the harder ones
1 vote
Andrea Wince…, Agent, Milpitas, CA
Fri Jun 29, 2012
Hello Mary, REO (bank owned) properties are listed on the MLS in which all Realtor's have access to. I do not limit myself to REO properties ONLY because when representing a buyer, I don't want them to limit themselves to REO properties ONLY. Although I have assisted in the purchase of several REO properties over the years, there are just as good deals to be had with regular and short sales as well. If you would like me to send you a list of Active REO properties for sale, please contact me through my Trulia profile with your search and budget criteria. I would be happy to show you properties that are of interest to you.
1 vote
Erica Glessi…, Agent, San Jose, CA
Fri Jun 29, 2012
Erica Glessing Nelson, Agent, San Jose, CA
Hi Mary!
Most active professional realtors sell foreclosed properties at this point.

Here is a link to foreclosures:…

Here are some steps for to buying a home that is foreclosed (although I specialize in listings that are not foreclosures in good school neighborhoods, I help my clients buy foreclosures upon demand):

*Get friendly with a contractor and before making an offer, have the contractor give you estimates on the repairs. Banks mostly require "AS IS" and once you've gotten into contract and conducted an inspection, banks are not easy to negotiate price regardless of your findings. So a good relationship with a contractor works great for offers on foreclosed properties.

*Get there fast. Get your offer in to the listing agent in a timely way. Understand that the listing agent may or may not ever communicate with your agent, if your offer isn't as good as the other offers. That's the way the chips fall.

*Get your complete documentation of bank records and FICO score in a PDF format your agent can submit with your offer. If you have a regular w-2, submit your proof of funds to close escrow; your FICO score; your loan approval with a major bank; and a copy of your paycheck. This caliber of disclosure will make your offer easier to review. Some listing agents have a checklist, and don't submit all your paper, they just tell the seller (the bank) that they have received it all from you.

I hope this helps!

Good luck!


Erica Glessing Nelson
DRE 01425475
Editor & co-Publisher "Sell Your House Fast for the Right Price" slated for July 2012 release
1 vote
Sam Shueh, Agent, Cupertino, CA
Thu Jun 30, 2016
Today if someone claims he is. He is not honest.

The REO days are very much over. Occassionarily one or two will come up as people can get behind their payments as always.

Sam Shueh Realtor
0 votes
Pitcher323, Home Buyer, San Jose, CA
Sat May 28, 2016
looking for a realtor who specializes in foreclosers in and around HAVERHILL,Ma
0 votes
Windy, , Truckee, CA
Wed Sep 26, 2012
This might help you:
It's a free database of REO brokers, agents, and vendors. I've run it for 10 years and it covers 99% of the United States population. Everyone is pre-screened and there is a mileage next to all the agent's names so you can see how far away they are from the zip code. Hope that helps!
Web Reference:
0 votes
Tina Lam, Agent, San Jose, CA
Fri Jul 6, 2012
What are you looking for? A property to rehab or live in? Specialists like what you suggest are generally focused on working with property investors, so look for one of those.
Web Reference:
0 votes
Robert Lei, Agent, Cupertino, CA
Thu Jul 5, 2012
Why do you want someone who ONLY knows REO and doesn't have any experience with the GOOD SCHOOL neighborhoods also?

Actually, as many have already stated, any active agent will have experience in REOs. We can't avoid it. I've helped many buyers buy REO properties. However, I can't say I ONLY do REOs because I've also helped many buyers get into good neighborhoods with GOOD SCHOOLS.
0 votes
James Deskins, Agent, Worthington, OH
Thu Jul 5, 2012
Why would you want to.............?
0 votes
Peter Nee, , Palm Desert, CA
Thu Jul 5, 2012
60 million in closed transactions in foreclosures properrties in 4 years.
Peter Nee 949-648-6688
0 votes
gerard richa…, Agent, Gilroy, CA
Wed Jul 4, 2012
REO 1 Team
Jerry and Tina Richards

We can help you!
0 votes
Thomas Bohlm…, Agent, Rolesville, NC
Wed Jul 4, 2012
Most REO Realtors are LISTING AGENTS ONLY. not buyers agents. They may refer you to another agent to help with buying a property.

Good Luck
0 votes
Jillian Lopez, , San Diego, CA
Tue Jul 3, 2012
If you are looking for realtors who focus only on REO's or who have the most experience with REO's you should contact two of the larger reo companies. and then you can ask or look up their agents in your area. If I am not mistaken reo prep has a buyer program if that is what you are looking for as well.
0 votes
Phoebe Co, Agent, Glenview, IL
Tue Jul 3, 2012
The best way is to find reliable, established realtors with a good designation ( letters at the end of a realtors name ex. GRI, ABR, etc.) and good sales record. Also, it should be somebody who can focus on buyers, too. There are agents that only list homes and don't meddle in buyer's affairs, so watch out for that. A Fulltime realtor is a must. Focusing on REO and foreclosure agents only is counterproductive, as some regular sale can turn out to be a better deal than foreclosed or REO home. The bottomline is the home price will eventually follow what it really is worth in the market. There is so much unknown factors in the foreclosure side, thus the chance of getting it cheap and hidden costs.
0 votes
Stephanie Le…, Agent, Miami Lakes, FL
Mon Jul 2, 2012
I am just curious why are you looking for a Realtor only doing REO's?
0 votes
Virginia Tho…, , Cupertino, CA
Sat Jun 30, 2012
Hello Mary,

There are a few agencies around that do specialize in REO's since they are working with a number of banks to get these properties renovated and back on the market to sell quickly. When I've dealt with these agencies each bank has a requirement now that you get pre-qualified through them even though you may already be qualified. It doesn’t mean you have to use the banks just that they want to ensure you are qualified for that particular deal. There may also be other documents that require a sign-off that is not a part of a standard contract. Knowing how to interrupt these documents is important and may need further research.

As others have stated most realtors may have worked on REO sales but there are agents that don't want to take on this type of business. There are a number of certifications that Realtors have gotten to improve their knowledge in this area. To name a few there is SFR (Short Sale & REO Specialist) Residential REO Buyer Specialist, REO Tips for Realtors, CDPE (Certified Distressed Property Expert) just to name a few. Check out a Realtor's bio and see if they are certified should that become criteria for you.

Also remember whether an agent is a listing agent or buyer’s agent, the REOs require further investigation, patience, and due diligence even before a contract is written. Agents may have to obtain information from public records, comparable sales, title searches, and other sources to determine the likelihood a REO transaction will succeed. The REOs sales are not for all agents.

Although the market was flooded with REO's for the past several years due to the market condition, they were around before the meltdown and will continue to be a part of the real estate market. REOs will not go away.

Rather than try and find Realtors who just do REOs, try and find Realtors who are specialized in REOs. There typically are a few agents in each Brokerage who work specifically on these transactions but it's really about finding an agent who you can work well with.
0 votes
Terri Vellios, Agent, Campbell, CA
Sat Jun 30, 2012
I'm curious, why? Are you thinking of buying just a REO? As Erica and the other agents stated, any full time professional who has been in the business for any length of time, has experience with REO property.

Unless you are a bank, it doesn't matter if you are a seller because it would not be applicable to you. REO means Real Estate Owned, where the bank has foreclosed and taken the property back. There are many phases of properties in distressed, from Short Sales, REO, to Foreclosures on the Court Steps.

Something else to understand, is that Short Sales and REO and some other transactions require Buyers and Sellers to sign affidavits that there are no non disclosed earnings (exchange of money out side of what is on the HUD final closing statement). Commissions are negotiable and some agents offer rebates to gain clients. Should you chose such an agent, make sure you understand which properties are not applicable to receiving a rebate.

It is always advisable to have a planning session with the agents, so that you can learn more about how the process works, understand how the agent works, and see if there is a fit between you and the agent.

I raised my sons in Cambrian, in 95118. When you are serious about your real estate options, I invite you to contact me for a no hassle consultation at my office. Where you can have a face to face conversation and learn so much more.

In the mean time, have an amazing day!
Web Reference:
0 votes
Ricky Ablaza, Agent, Milpitas, CA
Fri Jun 29, 2012
Hi Mary.Sesma,

You found me. Call me (408-316-0793) or email me (

0 votes
Elena Talis, Broker, Palo Alto, CA
Fri Jun 29, 2012
Are you buying or selling?
0 votes
Jinaye Conley, , Saratoga, CA
Fri Jun 29, 2012
The prudent way to approach this is to allow a professional to assist you in the following manner.

Allow me to define your needs and evaluate your financing approval. From there we will contact one of several lenders whom hold large bank asset accounts. in other words we will go directly to the lending institution. We currently have relationships with several large lenders. Contact my office directly for assistance at 408-497-6528 or 408-867-9300.

You see the Realtors who handle bank REO like myself have the ability to align your interests with the appropriate property.

With care,

Jinaye Conley
The Conley Real Estate Group
Intero Real Estate Services
0 votes
Kevin Vo, , San Jose, CA
Fri Jun 29, 2012
Call me at 408-228-2161 or send me an email I certainly can help you
0 votes
Nathan Neely, Agent, Keller, TX
Fri Jun 29, 2012
Look on Trulia for an agent that specializes in REOs.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more