How do I chose the best buyer's agent for me?

Asked by PhillyBuyer, 19147 Wed Feb 6, 2008

I'm planning on choosing a buyer's agent soon. What do you think at the 3 most important things for me to ask?

Answers

8
Julie (Toon Pawley) Timms’ answer
Julie (Toon…, Agent, Hilton Head Island, SC
Wed Feb 6, 2008
Hi Alex,

The 3 most important things to find out would be:

1. Names and numbers of their former Buyer Clients that you can call for a reference and a list of the properties they have sold as a Buyer's Agent in the last 12 months.
2. What is the list to sales price ratio of homes that you have sold when representing buyers? (the lower the better) - This will show you how good their negotiation skills are.
3. Make sure they are full time successful agents who know your marketplace. Ask them exactly what they will do for you and what you should expect from them. (Make sure they fullfil you expectations) - They should be doing everything Linette said in the previous message as well as be a really good listener and a great negotiator.

Good luck! If you don't know where to start or who you should call in your area, I will be glad to help you find someone.
Web Reference:  http://www.toonpawley.com
Linette Carr…, Agent, Wilmington, DE
Wed Feb 6, 2008
I am a buyers agent and I think the most important things in this market are
1)Do you do Real Estate full time? If they are part time it is difficult for them to take you out touring and return phone calls in a timely manner, unless they are doing RE while working at their day job.
2) Will you be helping me through the entire process of buying a home? It's not just about finding a home for a buyer. They should be able to help you through the mortgage process, be there for inspections, make sure all paperwork is to the lawyers or whomever they need to be. Make sure you have set up your utilities, etc.
3) Once your in your home will they follow up and make sure you don't have any questions. This is especially important if you are not from the area. Doctors, Lawyers, schools, mechanics, camps, etc. We have alot of that info and if we don't we have the resources to get you some recommendations. I have even recommended a few financial advisors. Good luck in your search for an agent.
Firsttimebuy…, Home Buyer, Colorado
Wed Apr 28, 2010
Hi PhillyBuyer,

I recently started working with a buyer's agent in Colorado. and I have had a really great experience with it so far. I went to the buyer's association in Colorado, and they had a list of questions to ask potential buyer's agents:

http://homebuyerscolorado.org/why-use-an-eba/interview-questions/

You can also read about the experience of meeting with a buyer's agent on their blog.

Bibby Crane, Agent, Oreland, PA
Wed Apr 21, 2010
First, it's important that you feel comfortable with your agent. There are many different styles and approaches and you will be spending a lot of time together so be sure you feel compatible. It's important to ask your potential agent:

For references
If they are full-time or part-time
If they, specifically are going to work with you or if they will have a team approach to assisting you.

Finally, ask any additional questions you feel are important to making your decision!
Web Reference:  http://www.FineHousePA.com
Cheryl R. Su…, , Schwenksville, PA
Wed Feb 27, 2008
Choose the person that you are most comforatble with. If you want to get to know them or their experience, ask them how many homes have they sold this year, how many homes do they have listed, what will they do differently than other realtors you are interviewing. Ask for referrals if needed. You should be able to tell immediately upon meeting this person, if you want to work with them. Also google their name - check them out. Good luck!
Renese, Agent, Parks Township, PA
Sun Feb 10, 2008
The most important decision that you make will be who you choose to work with when buying a home. You need to make sure that the person has the time, knowledge and the desire to work with you in finding that home. Just because you sign on with an person who is well seasoned in Real Estate it doiesn't mean that they are the best thing for you. You should intervieiw at leat three agents before making a decision. The ideal agent should be a good listener. They should really be intune to what you need. They should also be forethcoming and honest in what they are willing to do and not willing to do. They should also exude confidence and dedication to you as a client understanding what an important decision and process this is for you.
Edmund Choi, Agent, Paoli, PA
Thu Feb 7, 2008
Alex,

Working with a full-time agent exclusively will provide you with the best results. First, ask your friends and family for recommendations. Second, when interviewing them, assess their understanding of the marketplace and ask for a few recommendations of past clients that have settled in the last 3 months and of those they are currently working with to determine their level of professionalism. Third, do they have a handle on financing and the process enough to assist you in getting the transaction to close? Finally, an Accredited Buyer Representative has undergone additional coursework to service the needs of Buyers. Good luck hunting!!!
Web Reference:  http://phillyandbeyond.com
Jeffrey Kropp, Agent, Chicago, IL
Thu Feb 7, 2008
I agree with everything below, but I think exclusive buyer agents are the best bet. They never list homes and will provide you with the highest form of representation (I am biased since I am an EBA in Chicago).
To find more info, go to http://www.naeba.org