How do City of Sacramento utilities(water, sewer,garbage) get put in our name after a home purchase?

Asked by juliadavis99, Sacramento, CA Mon Jan 14, 2013

We purchased a home in the city of Sacramento which closed on 12/31/12. I am wondering how utilities (water, sewer, garbage) are switched to our name. Is the city notified through escrow or do we have to contact them ourselves? Thanks for any help with this.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Victor-oetega, Home Buyer, Sacramento, CA
Fri Jan 8, 2016
Were do i send my payment for garbage and water and sac co.
0 votes
Kara Blader, Home Owner, Salt Lake City, UT
Fri Aug 23, 2013
When I moved I thought it would be taken care of by itself so when we didn't receive bills for a while I realized my mistake. We had a big nasty issue with the sewer services in Las Vegas NV. So make sure you have called and have everything straightened out!
0 votes
James Tan, Agent, elk grove, CA
Thu Jan 17, 2013
You already have a lot of info from my esteemed colleagues.

Just want to add that you can also call 311 to get in touch with city of sacramento utilities and other city services. This includes emergencies such as leaks in the water supply, etc.

Note that some areas in Sacramento are serviced by the County of Sacramento rather than the City.
0 votes
Ted Greene, Agent, Sacramento, CA
Mon Jan 14, 2013
Everyone hit it right on the spot.

Be sure to notify City of Sacramento yourself. It's also good to check because you may live where the County of Sacramento is controlling water, sewer, and garbage.

Best of Luck,

Ted A. Greene - Broker
JCL Realty, Inc.
0 votes
Keisha Mathe…, Agent, Elk Grove, CA
Mon Jan 14, 2013
Ditto to what everyone is saying.

PG&E 800-743-5000
SMUD 888-742-7683
Sacramento Utilities 916-875-5555

Hope that helps!

Keisha Mathews, REALTOR®
CDPE®, HRC®, HAFA® Certified
"The Short Sale Lady"
Century 21 Landmark Network
(916) 370-1803 cell/direct
(916) 405-3886 fax
lic#: 01439130
0 votes
Sunki Chen, Agent, Livermore, CA
Mon Jan 14, 2013
No, it is homeowner's responsibility. You need to call city's # 916-808-5454 to set up new service.
0 votes
Bruce Slaton, , Elk Grove, CA
Mon Jan 14, 2013
They transfer with the deed BUT it can sometimes take a few months to catch up so we always advise our clients to make sure to know what the monthly cost is and to keep that amount maybe in a savings account or their checking account for that first bill which can be a surprise. You can always contact the City as well and make sure to verify and see if they will allow you to pay before you get the bill in the mail.

You can contact the City of Sacramento here:
For Utility Billing questions Customer Service can be reached at 808-5454 from 8:00 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. Monday through Friday, (excluding holidays).

What you want is an account number, then you can always pay online.

Best of luck

Bruce Slaton
Realty World eCurb REALTORS
0 votes
Tim Moore, Agent, Kitty Hawk, NC
Mon Jan 14, 2013
You should call the utilities and ask, my guess is they will wait for you to call and give them a billing address. Not all bills are sent to the address of the property. I doubt the escrow company would notify them.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more