How common is it for homes in bethesda/chevy chase to come back w/ evidence of termites?

Asked by Yabu, Maryland Sun Oct 16, 2011

I am under contract for a 73 yr old house that to my alarm came back w/ visual sign of damage (altho the inspector says it's minor and only found on one floor joist in the basement). Still it leaves me uncomfortable about what other hidden damage might exist. Is the presence of termites in our target neighborhood unusual, alarming, or actually quite common? Any stats for the area helps! Thx

Answers

3
Holly Smith, Agent, Potomac, MD
Tue Oct 18, 2011
Hi. That would be a question for a termite professional. You should get other opinions about this property from both termite inspectors and a structural engineer. Good luck.
The Roskelly…, Agent, Gambrills, MD
Mon Oct 17, 2011
I would say 1 out of 10 homes has this problem. It is not at all alarming. The seller is responsible for the repair in the standard MD contract for just this reason. The most common cause of termites is fresh mulch. They just ride in with your new landscaping. So not to worry. Make sure that whoever is doing the work for the Seller is a licensed contractor and that they provide a warranty and you receive a copy. Then enjoy your new home.
Jeff Escher, Agent, Rockville, MD
Sun Oct 16, 2011
I'd say it's pretty common. As one home inspector put it, "there are 2 types of homes. Ones that had termites, and ones that will have them."

Depending on the contract you used, the seller should be responsible for any repairs and extermination.