How come house that are sold are still listed as available?

Asked by Bunni, Avondale, AZ Thu Jul 17, 2008

Answers

12
John Gordon, Agent, Mesa, AZ
Thu Jul 17, 2008
How come the answers are all gone below? Did the question get pulled?
Sue Martinez, Agent, Avondale, AZ
Thu Jul 17, 2008
It depends.
Sometimes Agents will leave homes on the market because the offer they have has a contingency, or reason that it may not close escrow. The Agent is looking to get another offer that can be placed in a backup position so that if the first offer does not close then the second can step up.

Or it may be that there is a lag time between what the Agent has entered into our system and what the website you are using is showing. Different sites will update their information differently.

In order for you to see homes that do not have contingencies and are current listings then you will need to work with a Buyer's Agent. As your Buyer's Agent I can sort through the homes available to be sure that you are seeing current listings that fit your area and criteria. There is no charge to you for this service just a commitment to use me as your Agent for the purchase.

If you want to see more about me then go to http://www.suemartinezgroup.com or give me a call at 623-580-0443 for more information.

I hope this has answered your questions and I look forward to hearing from you.
Sue
Sue Martinez, Agent, Avondale, AZ
Thu Jul 17, 2008
It depends.
Sometimes an offer is accepted but the home stays on the market because there is a contingency, or a reason that they transaction may not close. Therefore, Agents will continue to accept offers to be placed in a backup position so that if the first offer does not go through then the new offer can step up.

Or sometimes there is a lag in the information being posted on the website you are looking at. All the sites are different in how and when they update their information.

To be sure that you are looking at current listings that do not have offers on them it is best to work with a Buyers Agent. As your Agent I would sort out homes in the area that you want to be in and that fit the criteria you are looking for. Then I would take you to the homes so that you can see them inside and out or I can email them to you so that you can preview them before we go to them, whichever way works best for you. There is no cost to you for this service and it is guaranteed to save you time and effort.

If you would like to see more about me and what I do then you can go to http://www.suemartinezgroup.com or you can give me a call at 623-580-0443.

I hope this information helped you and I look forward to hearing from you.
Sue
Greg Krome, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Thu Jul 17, 2008
If the homes are sold they should not show as available on websites (I assume that is where you are seeing it listed). Maybe the listing agent did not update the on-line information correctly or timely?

If the house has offers on it but not in escrow it could and in most cases should still be listed as available. Not sure if this is the situation for the homes you mention.

I usually call to check status on properties before I show them to clients just to make sure I have the most current information...

I hope this helps if you need further information feel free to contact me.
Web Reference:  http://www.KromesRealty.com
Sue Martinez, Agent, Avondale, AZ
Thu Jul 17, 2008
It depends. Some houses will be sold but will have a contingency, something that could make the contract cancel, attached to it so Agents will continue to market the house to see if they can get another back-up offer to take it's place if it cancels. Then sometimes the homes are sold and placed as pending but as fast as the internet is there can be a lag time before you see it posted correctly on some websites.

A way to be sure that you are considering houses that are available and without contingencies is to work with a Buyer's Agent that will help you to look at houses that fit all of your criteria and that are available. As a Buyer's Agent I sort through all of the possible homes that you could consider and find the best ones. Then we can take a look at them in person or over the internet, whichever way you prefer to work. There is no cost to you for these services, just a commitment to work with me as your Agent. You can see more about my services on my website at www,suemartinezgroup.com or call me at 623-580-0443.

I hope that helped to answer your questions. I look forward to hearing from you.
Sue
Lucinda Tkach, , Phoenix, AZ
Thu Jul 17, 2008
In some cases agents have not changed the status. With that said with the high foreclosure rate it is taking banks to give our buyers up to 3 months to answer. It makes it very difficult for buyers looking to purchase a home. It has added a lot of stress to the real estate agents too. We dont know when or if the bank is going to accept an offer! Also the buyer can back out if they are not willing to wait any longer which leaves a listing agent with an unsold home. The seller is still the homeowner, however they are just trying to save their credit too! It only adds more complication to the picture.

I hope that helps answer the question! Feel free to call if you have any more questions!

Lucinda
Doug McVinua, Agent, Gilbert, AZ
Thu Jul 17, 2008
It really depends upon where you are looking at this information. Who is the source? As a Realtor we rely upon the Multiple Listing Service (MLS) as our most reliable source. Even the MLS has issues today as often a bank owned property can take many days before the parties have actually signed all the documents even after a verbal agreement is reached. Technically all Realtors are to update the status in the MLS within 72 hours of reaching a signed agreement. Again you take a bank property that takes maybe 10 days for everyone to sign the documents and then possibly another 72 for the Realtor to update the MLS and you almost have a 2 week period of time that the house may of verbally been under contract but showing active for sale in the MLS.

Many other sites: Realtor.com, REMAX.com, AZ Central etc get the information updated daily from the MLS so that information is only as good as the MLS plus a day or so. Most sites get information from the MLS data feed and in some cases as Realtors we have other direct feeds or sites as well that may depend on us to manually update the status.

Bottom line, I’m guessing you are running into homes you like only to find out they are all ready under contract? It is imperative today that your Realtor spend the time to do the correct homework to determine each property fits your needs and is available. I make a lot of research, phone calls and emails before showing property today to do everything possible for my client. A great Realtor is an asset today more than ever!!
Web Reference:  http://www.McVinua.com
Donald Keys, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Thu Jul 17, 2008
It depends on where you are looking at the listings.

Most websites are getting data that is anywhere from 24-72 hours old and the home may still look like it is available. Only the REALTOR MLS is "live" and in real time.

Another reason could be because the agent is very busy and has not time to change the status of the listing from Acitve to Pending. Or the listing could be Active with contingencies which means the seller is probably leaving the home on the market and accepting back up offers.

I hope this helps. This website updates MLS data every 4-12 hours and is most likely more accurate: http://www.623mls.com
Donald Keys, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Thu Jul 17, 2008

Donald Keys, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Thu Jul 17, 2008
it depends on where you are looking at.
The REALTOR only MLS is "Live" in real time all other websites get their data 24-72 hours later.
Also if an agent is very busy they may not change a homes status from Active to pending for a day or two.
In addition there are some homes that are Active with contingencies meaning the seller is most likely taking backup offers and these will still show active.

When showing homes to our clients we often call for availability I see if they have any offers before showing.

I hope this helps. This website pulls MLS data every 12 hours so it is up to date. http://www.623mls.com
Tonje Kearney, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Thu Jul 17, 2008
They shouldn't be. If you are looking at sites like Zillow, they actually gets their information from public records and a trustees sale will show as a sale. SO you might be looking at a trustees sale not an actual sale.
Web Reference:  http://www.TeamKearney.com
Tonje Kearney, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Thu Jul 17, 2008
They shouldn't be. How do you know they have sold? Some sites like Zillow actually lists a home as sold if it gets sold at a trustees sale, so if that is where you are looking, you might very well be looking at a recorded trustees sale not an actual sale.