How close is Cary, NC to a dog friendly lake? We are used to having our dogs off leash at the lake and we want to move somewhere we can do that.

Asked by christine_pasion, Elk Grove, CA Thu Dec 12, 2013

Answers

9
sharsoz, , 27562
Sun Dec 15, 2013
I too love letting my pack have a dip. I have found that Jordan Lake leaves my dogs smelly and scratching. Then we found a lake called Harris Lake. It is 15 minutes from Cary. They have many trails that nearly all lead to the lake. I suggest ,however not to go during hunting season...which does not last long October through January 1.. I have also found my dogs do not have the same issue with their skin like Jordan...except for an occasional dead fish that one may roll in, .Usually, once you park your car at the entrance to one of the paths (they have bars across them to help to keep all terrain vehicles off them}, people will move on to find another spot. The trails are as long as 2 miles to the lake and as short as 5 minutes. Do bring tick spray! We do have snakes.. My dogs have been swimming here since 1999 and only one snake bite so far.,,I can't say that for the ticks.
Cynthia LaCh…, Agent, Morrisville, NC
Sun Mar 30, 2014
If you'd prefer a serious answer, Cary has several small lakes. My son takes his dog to Bond Park Lake. There are other dogs there most of the times he is there, and some of them will let the dogs off leash to swim. You need to be mindful of the leash laws and be a responsible pet owner. You also need to be considerate of the water birds - it isn't polite to let your dog eat them. :)

I also foster dogs for Best Friends Pet Adoption and would be happy to speak to you more about dog policies and moving to Cary. You can check out my website at http://www.LaChapelleProperties.com and contact me through there also.
Thank you Cynthia - I actually sent you a message on your website a few days ago but have not heard back from you.
Flag Thu Apr 3, 2014
kkkkkkkkk, Home Owner, Seattle, WA
Mon Jan 20, 2014
There are no "Dog" or "people friendly" lakes in central NC.

All standing water, including Jordan Lake which serves as the drinking water source for most of the area is polluted with polyflurohydrocarbons.

Please do not ever allow your dog or anything or anyone you care about to enter any water in this part of the state.
Jim Bartlett, Agent, Cary, NC
Fri Dec 13, 2013
Hi Christine;

There are a number of parks in Cary you can take your dog(s) to and let them play, especially if they are well mannered and obey simple commands and come back to you when called. I have lived in Cary more than 20 yrs now and back up to Bond Park which has a Lake and dogs are always in and out of it having fun, cooling off and messing around. Our dog has passed but in years past we walked her there many times, Lady was a bit aggressive or territorial, must have been the Spitz in her and we had to keep her on a leach. However, our neighbors who have a lab, who is timid and just a big baby always seems to take a dip no matter the time of year or runs through a few creeks or just plays in the leaves along the many trails.

I hope this helps. There are the rules and laws and then there is what I see everyday with well mannered dogs.

Give me a call and we can discuss your housing needs.

Jim Bartlett - Cary Home Seller
919.961.1238
Real Estate Broker
"Simplifying Real Estate"
jim@caryhomeseller.com
http://www.caryhomeseller.com
Keller Williams Realty - Cary
Elizabeth Sc…, Agent, Apex, NC
Fri Dec 13, 2013
Hi Christine: Here are some great options for you:
Cary Dog Park at Godbold Park
2050 Northwest Maynard Road
Fenced, 1-acre dog park. Separate area for smaller pets & electronic gate. Passes required. No lake

Apex Dog Park at Hunter Street
Must register dogs to gain access to locked area. No lake. Near Historic Downtown Apex so you can then walk to Common Grounds & sit outside with a beverage for you and water for your pups.

Bond Lake (off High House Road) – community park does not officially allow dogs, but I’ve seen them there.

Jordan Lake – I don’t believe they “officially” allow dogs, but I’ve seen them splashing around & having fun.

Falls Lake – Another non-official site that folks have found a hidden place off one of the hiking
Umstead Park – don’t know about lakes, but great area to run/walk with your dogs

Many neighborhoods have lakes & ponds for their residents. If you’re planning to move here, get in touch & I would be happy to help you with your home search to find the perfect spot for all your family (including the furry ones!)
My NC Homes…, Agent, Chapel Hill, NC
Fri Dec 13, 2013
There are a number of Dog Parks in Cary, and of course there's Jordan lake nearby which you'll see on the western side of Cary if you take a look at a map. There's also the Greenway bike-walk-hike trail that runs throughout Cary and depending where in Cary you might purchase the American Tobacco trail may be nearby as well. Cary may be a little larger than you imagine, it's still growing outwards and covers quite a few square miles.

Feel free to contact me through my Trulia profile with any other questions you may have about Cary or the area in general.
Linda Morris, Agent, Cary, NC
Fri Dec 13, 2013
Cary is very dog friendly and we have doggie parks galore. I think there are leash laws however in Cary & Raleigh so having the dogs run free may be a problem. If you have a fenced back yard, you should be good to go. I walk around Lake Pine almost daily and there are lots of trails that will give your dogs some exercise.
Please let me know if I can be of assistance in your relocation. Cary is a great place to live with excellent schools, parks & recreation and home values. I would be glad to send you a welcome packet if you are interested!
Web Reference:  http://RDUHomes4U.com
Michael Newp…, Agent, Chapel Hill, NC
Thu Dec 12, 2013
There is a really great link below that shows you a number of dog friendly attractions in the Cary, NC area, plus information for the surrounding areas.

http://www.bringfido.com/attraction/city/cary_nc_us/

If you would like more information about the general area and what all is nearby I would love to share this with you. Please feel free to give me a call or email me!

Michael Newport
Go Realty
919-747-1950
michaelnewport@gorealty.biz
Tracy Santro…, Agent, Cary, NC
Tue Aug 5, 2014
In addition to Bond Park and other small area lakes there are dog parks in Cary also. While there is no water it's still fun for the dogs to run and play together.