How can an individual do his own CMA analysis? Any resources available to the common man/woman?

Asked by Norm Peters, Leeds, ME Sun Jun 15, 2008

Answers

3
Mike, Both Buyer And Seller, Indianapolis, IN
Sun Jun 15, 2008
I think these two responses cover most of the information upon which you will be able to derive an estimate for the property. County website will give you assessment values and sites like Trulia and Zillow will give you some information about neighborhood and estimates about market prices.
Mary, ,
Sun Jun 15, 2008
Trulia website can help you search for recently sold homes in the area you are looking at. Also, most local governments have free access to home information (address, sq. footage, sold price and date, etc.) You may be able to find this info located in the local government real estate tax assessment website. Also, do a comparison on number of bedrooms, square footage, garage or no garage, age, schools, local amenties and crime stats and you will come up with a ballpark figure. Don't forget to factor in the declining market and the fact that some sold homes also include a closing cost rebate to the buyer that is not reflected in the sold price. Then, drive around and look at the homes. I may seem like a lot, but I don't think it's that hard to do.
J R, , New York, NY
Sun Jun 15, 2008
Sure, you can use any of the available on line public records sources. You will have to pay a fee to acess them, most likely, but we have to pay a fee to access MLS. It the house is local you can go to town hall and look at the public records for free.

How far back do you plan to go? How do you plan on interpreting the information once you amass it? What will it tell you?