How can I tranfer property from my blood relative like Brother?

Asked by Avinash, Boston Harbor, WA Wed Oct 17, 2012

We are two brothers and have 2 acre farm land.One acre on my name and anot her on my brother on 7/12 property paper adjucent to each other. I would like to give thsi 1 acre to me as he has additional land/property on his name in another area . How this tranfer can be done legally with less cost as I am not buying it from him.I am getting it because he has overall more land on this name.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Greer Swiston, Agent, Newton, MA
Tue Jul 23, 2013
The specific laws do differ a bit from state to state. I don't know if Washington state has them, but in Massachusetts, we have real estate attorneys who will work for a fixed fee. Also, when your brother "signs over" the property, there does need to be monetary consideration in order for the transaction to be binding ... a dollar is acceptable consideration.

Good luck!
1 vote
Thanks nice post.
Flag Wed Sep 18, 2013
Janine Elkho…, Agent, Woburn, MA
Tue Mar 19, 2013
Hi Avinash

You can deed it to your brother but I recommend you hire an attorney to do it. It would be the best way.
Attorneys can register it online and get it all done easily

Please note: when you choose an answer as a Best Answer, or at least give a thumbs up, it helps those who answer questions here.)
0 votes
Kevin Vitali, Agent, Tewksbury, MA
Fri Nov 16, 2012
He just needs to deed the property over to you. There needs to be consideration, which we see $1.00 given as consideration.

You can certainly prepare a deed yourself but I would highly suggest having a lawyer do the work so it is done properly. It can probably be done for as little as a few hundred dollars.
0 votes
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Thu Oct 18, 2012
It's really in your best interest to consult with an attorney who specializes in real estate....
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more