Just Looking, Other/Just Looking in Nassau County, NY

How can I quickly navigate to mother daughter searches?

Asked by Just Looking, Nassau County, NY Mon Feb 23, 2009

I guess my new name could be frustrated, because I'm trying to find mother/daughter properties for purchase, but I find myself searching through every single-family listing to find the needle in a haystach fine print of possible mother daughter. Is there a site out there where that is a selection, such as single-family or multi-family on MLS?

Answers

6
Ralph Windsc…, Agent, Hauppauge, NY
Thu Feb 26, 2009
The problem with "mother/daughter" is that it is not a legal term but a term created by the public to label a house with two possible apartments. Many hi ranches are set up this way but can't be advertised that way. If you're not currently working with an agent, I work in both Nassau and Suffolk Counties and would be pleased to provide you with whatever help you need. I am also a Certified Buyer Representative and could represent you in the purchase to save you money. Please feel free to contact me.

Ralph Windschuh
Associate Broker
Certified Buyer Representative
Century 21 Princeton Properties
631-467-0009
Joan, Home Seller, Doraville, GA/ Staten Island, NY
Thu Feb 26, 2009
That's a good question - because when I placed ads to sell my house in various NY Area Newspapers I was told "You can no longer use 'Mother/Daughter' in your ad".
I'm not a realtor nor lawyer - so I don't know if that is the law or not. Anyway - some realtors won't list '2 kitchens' either - they say 'summer kitchen' - all of it makes for a harder time for you.
Look for 'separate entry' and 'day-light basement' '1/2 bath in basement' - those might indicate that there are all the necessary ingredients to have a mother-daughter arrangement but not a two-family house. If you are mother & daughter (ex. all in the same family) you probably don't need to buy a multi-family or 2-family house. Also check for 'dual or separate meters' - that is one of the main components of a 2-family designation.

Houses called 'raised ranch' or 'hi-ranch' lend themselves to 'mother/daughter' use, but I'm sure just about every other homeowner has looked at their house and figured - this would be an easy conversion if my mom needed a place to stay.

Good Luck in your search.
If you're interested in a 'mother/daughter' on Staten Island let me know.
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Wed Feb 25, 2009
MLSLI is a great place to start and you can narrow it down with multi family properties. Also any Realtor will be more than happy to assist you, we have many tools at hand.
Pierre Calza…, Other Pro,
Mon Feb 23, 2009
Well, i would use the multi-family filter here on trulia, and set your maximum bedrooms to 5, that should work out. trulia does not list anything commercial, or larger than 4 family units. Most mother/daughter's are 2 legal 2 family homes - I sold many in brooklyn, and lived in one.

A typical mother/daughter would have 2 kitchens, etc, making it a legal two family. their may be illegal situations in the single family home category, such as finished basements. You need to watch when purchasing homes that do not match the legal occupancy, th ebank will require an inspection and anything that is not to code will have to be removed or covered up prior to closing.

long story short, look for 2 family homes. You can try the keyword search on trulia too, look at my link for a result using "mother " as my keyword - the keyword search is on the left rail, under the filters, around the middle.
Barbara E. N…, Agent, Oceanside, NY
Mon Feb 23, 2009
Hi

If you go to http://www.mlsli.com, you will be able to search properites (single or multi)

Or, please email me, and I will provide you with the same information.

Thank you

Barbara
516-232-6658
Tania Hopkins, , Williston Park, NY
Mon Feb 23, 2009
It is a little bit harder to find but there are specific searches that a Real Estate agent can run which will produce results for multi family type houses. There is another great tool that only a Real Estate agent can give you access to that will allow you to search for a house based on the numbers of kitchens, or meets investor criteria which would result in the type of house you are searching.
I am not aware of any public type of website that will allow you to narrow down your search. If you would like additional help in your search feel free to call me I can help you.
Tania Hopkins