How can I find out what contractors/builders in the area are liquidating/going out of business/or in foreclosure so I can get a new house for less?

Asked by Mona, Henrico, VA Wed Apr 27, 2011

Answers

4
..., , Lexington, MA
Wed Apr 27, 2011
I don't know where to find that information but be sure to have a thorough title search done as their may be mechanic or other liens on the property.

If the property is not completed you'll have difficulty obtaining financing.

Tom
Tina Beasley, Agent, Saint Augustine, FL
Wed Apr 27, 2011
Mona,

Hire a competent REALTOR that has experience in dealing with foreclosure properties and construction, like me!

I grew up working in the home building industry and I have sold many foreclosure properties to clients. I'd like to help you. Give me a call anytime.

Tina Beasley
Associate Broker
Envision Real Estate
804-972-9927
Cindy Jones, Agent, Alexandira, VA
Wed Apr 27, 2011
Mona-if a builder is about to go belly up the headaches associated with buying into an incomplete subdivision or buying a home that isn't finished may be more than you are expecting. For example if a builder can't finish a subdivision likely they are filing for bankruptcy protection and the property will be sold under a court trustee. There can be mechanics liens, county bonds and more financial obligations that need to be worked out before the homes can be sold. And if a home isn't finished you may not be able to get financing to take on the project yourself.

Plenty of Northern Virginia builders are offering great deals and incentives on homes under construction or spec homes that are completed. I have buyers now who got a finished basement, extra bathroom and 10K towards closing on a house that is priced almost 100K less than the neighbors who bought a year ago. Just something to think about.
Web Reference:  http://www.cjrealtygroup.com
Tim Moore, Agent, Kitty Hawk, NC
Wed Apr 27, 2011
Would it not stand to reason that if they were going out of business they would not be building, or finishing, your house? Perhaps a mobile home is for you, then you can take it with you when you move.