How can I find out the reputation of a builder? We are looking at newer homes on the Salem area, but are worr

Asked by Thelisses, Salem, OR Sun Sep 23, 2007

Answers

4
Mel Wagner, Agent, Portland, OR
Mon Apr 7, 2008
I'm also a local Realtor in Salem. First of all, I have to agree with Daniel, Kaufman homes is always a safe bet when purchasing a home. You have a couple of other options when researching a builder. First of all, find out if they are an active member of the Home Builders Association. For Salem builders you can call 503-399-1500 and they can advise you on whether or not the builder in question is member. Secondly, you can contact the contractors board. All Salem builders have a CCB#. The contractors board will have records of any complaints made against the builder and the outcome of the complaints. Good luck in your home search!
Daniel Palus…, , Salem, OR
Fri Nov 30, 2007
I am a Realtor in Salem, Oregon and have lived here my whole life. One of the premier builders in Salem is Kaufman Homes, Inc. They have built homes for over 30 years and their quality is legendary in the Salem area. Reputation is something that can be referenced by simply asking around. I can gaurantee that if you ask around about the reputation of Kaufman Homes you will not be disappointed.
Web Reference:  http://www.paluskagroup.com
Carrie, Both Buyer And Seller, Say Cheese!
Mon Sep 24, 2007
You can Google the name of the builder's company + review. I did that for builders I am looking at, and the answers for some of them curled my hair. :eek:

Some new owner groups have websites where they list all the problems they have had.
Diane Glander, Agent, Spring Lake, NJ
Mon Sep 24, 2007
A local realtor can be a good source of information. We see a lot of homes and are pretty good at figuring out who is building sound, quality homes that are not clones of eachother. We also sell these homes and get feedback from our clients. Check in with a few local agents and see which builder they recommend. You will start to see the same names popping up.
Web Reference:  http://www.dianeglander.com