How can I find out just how extensive mold damage is to a foreclosed home that I am interested in purchasing.?

Asked by Firefox, Grosse Pointe Farms, MI Wed Apr 7, 2010

Mold is throughout the house in different areas of every room.

Answers

6
Jeanne Feeni…, Agent, Basking Ridge, NJ
Wed Apr 7, 2010
Good responses so far, particularly that there is mold in every home. But to get to the bottom line, if you want to understand the condition of this or any home, hire a very good inspector.

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference:  http://www.feenick.com
Jeanne Feeni…, Agent, Basking Ridge, NJ
Wed Apr 7, 2010
Good point, another issue I bumped into with a home that was near foreclosure and had been uninhabited for over a year - when I recently returned there was visible mold climbing the walls - if the home has not been ventilated or cared for for a while, then a bad issue may be even worse.

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference:  http://www.feenick.com
Andy Hargrea…, Agent, Plymouth, MI
Wed Apr 7, 2010
Well, generally speaking, if there is THAT much mold, you're going to be stripping the home down to the studs and starting over.

In that case, you would rather likely have your inspector look at the root cause of the mold and how to prevent it.
That way, when you go to re-do the home and such, you'll know what went wrong and how to prevent it.

Then, you'll want to closely follow steps to dispose of all the mold material. Also, make sure you duct sanitize, not just duct clean.

All in all, it is pretty common procedure. All homes have mold, but relatively few types are the "bad" mold that you hear so much about.
Maureen Fran…, Agent, Birmingham, MI
Wed Apr 7, 2010
We often have mold inspections during the inspection period. Even where we don't suspect mold. There is mold in all houses, the question is hat kind and whether it is harmful or not. I would ask your buyer's agent for a referral to a mold company. Some testers do not do remediation so there could be less of potential for a conflict of interest.
Pam Bava, Agent, Rochester, MI
Wed Apr 7, 2010
Hi Foxfire,
I'm not sure by your question if you have been in the house with an agent or if you just want to buy this house. If you are working with a Realtor have them give you names of mold inspectors you can hire to do a complete inspection, or find your own inspector. Make sure you get an inspector that is certified.

Pam Bava, Realtor
586.675.4653
Cicely Brook…, , Birmingham, MI
Wed Apr 7, 2010
Have a qualified mold re-mediator give you a quote. They may not be willing to give one until the type of mold has been established (only about 10,000 types in North America). Also important is identifying the source(WATER) and verifying that it has been corrected. I think you answered your own question as to how extensive - it's everywhere. I think you want to know the cost of getting rid of it?