How can I find out history on an old house I'm considering purchasing. ie. If there's anything in its

Asked by John, Waterbury, VT Tue Jan 15, 2008

history which would possibly affect my decision. Major damage, rebuild, tramatic events involving people or crime, etc?

Answers

4
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Thu Feb 27, 2014
Neighbors
Police
Library
Historical society
Home inspector

lampchop, Home Owner, Barre, VT
Thu Feb 27, 2014
Ask the neighbors assuming the house is in a neighborhood. And local police can tell you at least one thing about every house. When I was buying my house, definitely talked to as many people as I could. Where is the house in Barre? I grew up there and I would definitely know if anything horrific happened at least within 5 blocks of where I grew up.
Ben Thomas, , Montpelier, VT
Wed Feb 18, 2009
Hi John,
a couple of suggestions:

is it a listed property or a for sale by owner? if it is listed, the realtor should provide a 7 page disclosure form filled out by the seller. you also might do the following prior to going under contract if the property is not listed:

-- go to the town listers and look up the recent property transfer amounts (public knowledge due to transfer tax). probe the lister for more information
-- find out when they bought it, and look up the warranty deed, maybe go a couple owners back. if there was a rebuild, you will find zoning and building permits in the card catalogs along with the deeds. while you're in the land records try to find a survey if the current owners did not provide one.
-- talk to town zoning, get an aerial printout and see if there is any known development that will adversely affect your new prospective dwelling
-- talk to the neighbors, they would like to meet you anyways.
-- get a good inspector. call me if you want some names.

Cheers,
Ben Thomas, REALTOR
c21jack, montpelier
279-3738
Little River…, Agent, Stowe, VT
Tue Feb 19, 2008
John, You could try the local newspapers archive and see what they might have - for the event/crime part. A building inspector will be able to evaluate the condition of the building and possibly identify any significant events from the past. I hope this helps. Feel free to contact me for additional ideas. Gayle Oberg Coldwell Banker Carlson Real Esate, Stowe Vermont.
Web Reference:  http://www.gayleoberg.com